At Calvin’s 2 month checkup, the Pediatrician asked me how he was sleeping. I responded with a shrug and a sigh. He’s still eating every 3 hours and naps are here and there. The Doctor then told me that most babies flip to better sleep around 3 months of age and that counter to what it seems, sleep begets sleep. Meaning the more they sleep, the more they want to sleep.
I remembered reading about this when Oscar was an infant, but these days, my reading list is as long as my to-do list and I am not getting very far on either of them. It sounded familiar though and I have noticed that Calvin’s naps have been getting increasingly better. Likewise, our nighttime stretches are slowly increasing from 3 to 4 hour intervals, so maybe there is something to it.
However, now that I am getting a little bit more sleep, I seem to be more tired then ever and that just isn’t fair! I guess sleep begets sleep in parents too. So instead of tackling that to-do list, I decided to share a few tips on how to survive on little sleep…. Or something.
5 Ways to Rock Motherhood on Little to No Sleep
- Make Coffee – Of course this seems like a no-brainer, but not only will coffee give you a burst of caffeine energy, it also gives you something to focus on in the morning when you have no direction. Too tired to think? Just make the coffee and the rest will somehow fall into place. (if you don’t drink coffee then any other drink will do – even better if it has caffeine and/or sugar!)
- Do a Craft with your (older) child – I know you’re thinking, she’s crazy! I am too tired to do a craft! But that’s the beauty of it. Too often we try to micro-manage craft time when simply letting your toddler loose with crayons and a glue stick will do. Just keep it in the kitchen where everything can be wiped down when said toddler is done “creating”. Bonus points! You are now mom of the year – How does she do it all? She makes coffee and does crafts with her kids? Wow!
- Do Laundry – Look I never said this list would be easy, just that it will help you rock. What’s more rockin than clean laundry? Hear me out. When you constantly have a load going or a pile of folded clothes, you appear to be on the ball. Even if you keep hitting start on the dryer to keep the clothes from wrinkling (not that I have EVER done that.)
- Love your Crockpot – Nothing says I have an awesome mom like a home-cooked meal. Nothing says you rock like a home cooked meal that took 5 minutes to throw together at 9am. Nuff said.
- Help a Mother out – Pay it forward. Tired moms have gone before you and tired moms will follow. Take a few minutes to tell another mom that SHE rocks and know that you are not alone.