It’s the weekend. Let’s make this one interactive! I was thinking about how all the research in the world (whether it be for pregnancy, newborns, sleep, development, discipline, etc) can only take you so far in preparation for the real live world of baby-wrangling. So let’s poke fun at some of our favorite lies! To be fair, they may not all be lies, but no one thing will fit all babies. Plus, I think first time parents have so many good ideas that never pan out and it’s no one’s fault. They just didn’t know the reality yet. So, here’s to all the first time parents! We were all young once 🙂 Let me know what you were wrong about !
Here are some of my faves:
- I will never let MY child ____________ (scream in a store, not let others hold him, have a runny nose). PLEASE. The first rule of test-taking is that the always/never questions are false.
- There is no excuse to stay in your pajamas all day. I would personally like to apologize to anyone I may have said this to. There are plenty of excuses. And most of them are acceptable.
- I can’t wait to quit my job so I can actually do things during the day. Sigh. This one really got me. I was convinced that grocery shopping would be a breeze because I wouldn’t be competing with the after-work crowd. However, when your store’s carts aren’t compatible with an infant seat and he is too small to sit up and to irritated for the sling, you have to put the carseat in the big part of the cart which really makes shopping a challenge. However, it helps with the grocery bill.
- You just have to make a plan and stick to it. Seriously, when in my life have I EVER done this? Why is now any different? And who’s going to inform the baby?
- MY house will always be clean. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA