Today, I’m sharing a recipe that will skyrocket your store-bought cinnamon rolls and you may never eat them plain again!
This cinnamon roll cake is a combination of cinnamon rolls, nuts, spice cake and buttery streusel topping.
It’s the perfect morning casserole for a weekend brunch or Christmas breakfast before you open gifts.
There are so many ways to doctor up a box cake mix and this one is next level. I love a yummy recipe that doesn’t take me away from my family for too long.
Cake Mix Cinnamon Roll Casserole Ingredients
Here’s what you need to shop for to make this easy recipe.
If you are more of an orange rolls person, be sure to check out my cranberry orange rolls next!
- Refrigerated cinnamon rolls (with icing)
- Whipped cream cheese frosting
- Cinnamon Streusel box mix (you’ll use both the cake mix and the topping)
- Chopped walnuts
If you want to put this together the night before, simply refrigerate until you are ready to bake.
How to Make It
Because we are taking shortcuts by using canned rolls and a boxed cake mix, this won’t take long at all!
Yes, there is a time and place for homemade cinnamon rolls.
This is not that time.
Let’s do it.
First, preheat the oven to 350°F.
Pop your can of cinnamon rolls and set the icing aside. Then, separate each roll and place them in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish prepared with nonstick cooking spray.
This recipe calls for the larger rolls, but the smaller size works too.
Using a rubber spatula, carefully spread the cream cheese frosting over the layer of cinnamon rolls.
Sprinkle about half the chopped nuts evenly over the frosting.
Then, add the dry cake mix and top with butter slices.
In a small bowl, add the streusel cinnamon topping with the rest of the walnuts and toss together.
Add the topping layer over the butter layer.
Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins or until golden brown.
After baking, drizzle icing from the cinnamon roll package over the warm cake.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Print the Recipe
This easy cinnamon roll cake recipe is the best cake mix hack to use when you need something delicious in a hurry.
Melted butter, cinnamon sugar, and spice cake are the flavors of fall if you ask me. Be sure to cover leftovers with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to reheat.
Let me know what you think in the comments and I’d love for you to rate the recipe after you make it!
Cinnamon Roll Casserole
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 1 can refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
- 1 can cream cheese frosting (whipped_
- 1 box Cinnamon Streusel cake mix
- 1 1/2 sticks butter sliced
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Divide cinnamon rolls and place in the bottom of the baking dish
- Spread whipped frosting over the rolls covering them completely
- Sprinkle half the chopped nuts over the frosting
- Cover with the cake mix
- Slice butter and place in rows across the top of the cake mix.
- Sprinkle streusel topping from the cake mix and the rest of the walnuts on top of the butter layer.
- Bake for 40-45 mins until golden brown
- Drizzle with the icing from the cinnamon roll package
- Serve warm and enjoy
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.