This is one of my favorite spice cake mix recipes with pumpkin because it is super easy and versatile for fall.
Make pumpkin cookies to enjoy the flavors of fall, to add to a lunch box or to combine with ice cream for a delicious pumpkin ice cream sandwich!
Pumpkin pie spice is essential for fall and I’m a huge fan of the season. Give me all the pumpkin right now!
The best part about these pumpkin spice cookies is how easy they are to make. You only need a few ingredients and you’re on your way. Grab these items the next time you are at the grocery store.
And while you’re in the holiday spirit, don’t miss our chocolate icebox cookies!
- Box of spice cake mix – you can use other flavors of cake mixes for cookies, but I love the spice cake flavor for these.
- Pumpkin puree – be sure not to get pumpkin pie mix because this has other sugars and ingredients you don’t need. The cake ingredients take care of that for you. I use Libby’s.
- Egg – you can make these without the egg but I like the added stability
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Granulated sugar (optional)
How to make Pumpkin cookies
Easy pumpkin recipes are my favorite in the fall season. Especially with two growing boys who are asking for snacks constantly.
These cookies are similar to these easy pumpkin muffins and great for decorating with icing or adding to ice cream.
First, preheat the oven to 350°F and add a layer of parchment paper to a cookie sheet.
In a large bowl, blend egg, your box of cake mix, and pumpkin puree until mixed well using a spoon or electric mixer or in a stand mixer on low speed. Use whatever you have but the simpler the better for easy cleanup.
Then with a cookie scoop, spoon cookie balls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
You could use a regular spoon for this but I highly recommend a cookie scoop. The mixture is very sticky and having this scoop makes the process faster and much less messy.
These cookies hold their shape pretty well while baking. So, if you like flatter cookies, use this trick. Spray the back of a measuring cup or large spoon with non-stick cooking spray and use it to press cookies flat.
You will likely need to spray between flattening each cookie because the batter is so sticky.
I like to sprinkle sugar on top of my cookies (optional) before I place the cookie sheet in the oven.
Bake for 9-12 minutes or until done. Cookies will be soft and springy when ready. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
To store leftovers in an airtight container or a zipper bag with a sheet of parchment paper between layers to avoid sticking. If not eating right away, you may notice that the cookies stay a bit moist and springy.
You can store them at room temperature or in the freezer if you want to keep them longer and they will stay soft.
This easy recipe is great on its own or when combined with other toppings like vanilla ice cream, homemade pumpkin ice cream, your favorite cream cheese frosting, sprinkles or more granulated sugar.
You can also add in chocolate chips or nuts before baking to change it up.
Spice cake mix recipes with pumpkin are such a great way to welcome the holiday season and enjoy every moment.
Try this simple recipe with other dry cake mix flavors to make a variety of perfect cake cookies.
Chocolate cake mix, yellow cake mix, or a box of red velvet cake mix would be great options and the rest stays the same!
Gingerbread is another one of my favorite fall flavors and would be another yummy option.
Print the recipe
Add this one to your recipe box and stock up on that boxed cake mix so you can enjoy these all season long.
- 1 box Spice Cake Mix
- 1 Can Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, blend egg, spice cake mix, and pumpkin puree until mixed well using a spoon or electric mixer.
- With a cookie scoop (1.5 TBSP size), spoon cookie balls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet (I highly recommend a cookie scoop as this mixture is very sticky.
- Spray the back of a measuring cup or large spoon with non-stick cooking spray and use it to press cookies flat. (You will likely need to spray between flattening each cookie).
- Sprinkle granulated sugar on top of cookies (optional) and place cookie sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until done. Cookies will be soft and springy when ready.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container. Use parchment paper between layers to avoid sticking.
Be sure to read the blog post for variations and optional topping ideas like whipped cream, icing, sprinkles or chocolate chips. These cookies are so versatile. I hope you love them!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 26 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is estimated and may vary based on products used. Please verify with your ingredients.