When you are ready for fall but the weather isn’t cooperating yet, reach for one of these pumpkin ice cream sandwiches!
This easy recipe is the perfect way to enjoy the holiday season, Halloween parties, Thanksgiving dessert and pretty much all things fall.
Using our simple cake mix pumpkin cookies and homemade pumpkin ice cream, all that’s left to do is put them together for pumpkin spice magic!
Today, I’ll show you how I made my ice cream sandwiches from scratch.
Ingredients to Buy
You can make these using packaged cookies and ice cream if you want to. So if time is not on your side, feel free to take the shortcut guilt free.
To make them like the ones pictured, I used the following recipes.
To make the cookies you will need:
- Spice cake mix
- Pumpkin puree
For the ice cream:
- Heavy whipping cream
- Pumpkin puree
- Brown sugar
- Whole milk
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Pure vanilla extract
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Making these delicious cookies is as simple as can be. It’s such a simple recipe, you may be making them quite a bit!
Mix all of your ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined. Use a cookie scoop and spoon cookie dough onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
You will want to flatten the cookies since they don’t really spread much.
To do this, spray the back of a measuring cup or large spoon and gently press down each cookie.
Bake and set aside and cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
Pumpkin Ice Cream Instructions
I have two ice cream recipes for you depending on what supplies you have.
To make the ice cream using a machine, take all of your ingredients and blend well in a medium bowl. What I love about this recipe is that there is no egg yolk so there is nothing to cook ahead of time.
Transfer the mixture and churn in your ice cream maker according to its specified directions.
If you want to try my no churn method, it’s very similar. You will blend all the ingredients except the heavy cream and whip that first before the mixing and freezing process.
Check out this pumpkin ice cream recipe for all the details.
It’s super easy and it has the best texture. You will love it!
Putting it all Together
For best results, I recommend freezing the cookies before assembling your ice cream sandwiches.
In fact, the easiest combination is to use freshly made ice cream from your ice cream maker combined with frozen cookies.
The ice cream will harden as it freezes and spreading it while it’s in the soft serve stage is much easier.
Spread a layer of plastic wrap on your work surface and lay two cookies on it. Then add a scoop of ice cream and close the sandwich being careful not to press it too hard. You don’t want the ice cream smushing out the sides!
Once you are done, wrap the cookie in the plastic wrap and add to a loaf pan or large freezer bag.
Freeze for 2-3 hours and enjoy whenever you want!
Ice Cream Sandwich Variations
This is such a festive and fun treat and you can play around with the idea and make it your own!
My youngest son likes to roll his sandwich in sprinkles. If you want to decorate all season long, be sure to stock up on your Fall, Halloween and Christmas sprinkles and you’ll be set.
You could also add chocolate chips to the cookie dough to make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. Or try it with vanilla ice cream or even swap the pumpkin spice for graham crackers or gingerbread cookies.
If you love whoopie pies, you are going to love these frozen sandwiches. The cookies stay soft and springy even when frozen and the flavor is very close to pumpkin pie. My family is hooked!
Print the Recipe
One of my favorite flavors of fall is pumpkin and these ice cream sandwiches takes it to the next level. I hope you love them as much as we do!
For the Cookies
- 1 Box Spice Cake Mix
- 1 Can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Egg
For the Ice Cream
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, blend egg, spice cake mix, and 1 can pumpkin puree until mixed well using a spoon or electric mixer.
- With a cookie scoop (1.5 TBSP size), spoon cookie balls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet (I highly recommend a cookie scoop as this mixture is very sticky.
- Spray the back of a measuring cup or large spoon with non-stick cooking spray and use it to press cookies flat. (You will likely need to spray between flattening each cookie).
- Sprinkle granulated sugar on top of cookies (optional) and place cookie sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until done. Cookies will be soft and springy when ready.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container. Use parchment paper between layers to avoid sticking.
For the Ice Cream
Ice Cream Maker Instructions (using KitchenAid Ice Cream attachment)
1. Freeze ice cream maker bowl overnight before making recipe.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
3. Transfer to your ice cream maker and prepare according to the manufacturer's instructions. For KitchenAid, add the ice cream mixture to the freeze bowl with mixing attachment and mix on low for 25 minutes.
4. For soft serve, eat right away. For harder ice cream, transfer to a metal loaf pan or freezer safe air tight container and place in the freezer for 4 hours or longer.
No-Churn Pumpkin Ice Cream Instructions
1. Place a mixing bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for 20-30 minutes.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl, add all ingredients except the heavy cream and combine using a spoon or hand mixer.
3. In the chilled mixing bowl, add the heavy cream and whisk on high (using a stand mixer or handheld mixer) until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold in the pumpkin mixture to the whipped cream until well combined but do not over mix.
5. Transfer to a metal loaf pan or freezer container, cover with parchment paper and freeze until ready (about 4 hours to overnight).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 349mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is estimated and may vary based on products used. Please verify with your ingredients.