How to Make the Perfect Pumpkin Ice Cream at Home
on Aug 25, 2021, Updated Feb 09, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy and delicious dessert to make this fall, look no further than homemade pumpkin ice cream. This recipe will show you how to make it two different ways without any fuss or complicated ingredients.
There are so many ways to satisfy your pumpkin cravings and they don’t have to involve pumpkin spice lattes!
You can make this recipe using an ice cream machine like I did or use the no churn option if you don’t have a machine.
Either way it’s perfectly simple and so delicious for fall.
The best part about this pumpkin ice cream is how easy it is to make. You only need a few ingredients and you’re on your way.
Grab these items the next time you are at the grocery store.
- Pumpkin Puree
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Brown Sugar
- Whole Milk
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Vanilla Extract
- Freshly Grated Cinnamon (optional)
Ice Cream Machine Instructions
First, you need to prepare your ice cream machine as directed in the manufacturer’s instructions.
I have the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer so that is what I used for this recipe.
NOTE: The ice cream maker bowl needs to be frozen before use so if you don’t keep it in the freezer, be sure to put it in there at least 24 hours before you plan to use it.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix together. If your stand mixer is already out, you can use this or an electric mixer is fine too. We’re just getting everything stirred up at this stage.
Remove your ice cream bowl from the freezer and click it into place on your mixer.
Pour in the ice cream mixture and attach the stirring components (called the dasher and drive assembly). Lock the mixer and turn it on low.
Mix on low speed for about 25 minutes. It’s so fun to watch the ice cream take shape!
If you like a soft serve consistency in your ice cream, you can eat it right away. Or if you want to let it harden, use a rubber spatula to scrape it into a metal loaf pan or freezer container.
Cover with a layer of parchment paper and freeze. Your homemade ice cream awaits!
No Churn Ice Cream Instructions
It’s super easy to make this no churn pumpkin ice cream without an ice cream maker. You just need to allow a little more time for the freezing process.
To make it this way, you will divide your ingredients into the ice cream base and the pumpkin mixture.
Before you get started, put your mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. This will set you up for whipped cream success!
Then, add all of the ingredients except the heavy cream to a medium bowl and gently combine it using an electric hand mixer.
Get your cold mixing bowl and whisk out of the freezer, add the whipping cream and whisk it on high speed until stiff peaks form.
Gently stir in the pumpkin mixture keeping as much air in the mix as possible.
Transfer your ice cream to a metal loaf pan or freezer container and freeze for several hours to overnight if possible.
However you make it, this fall dessert may just become one of your favorites!
If you don’t eat it all right away, transfer ice cream to a freezer safe airtight container so it doesn’t take on any rogue flavors.
What to Serve with Pumpkin Ice Cream
Double up with a slice of pumpkin pie or enjoy with some sugar cookies or our pumpkin spice cake mix cookies.
Try adding mix-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, or marshmallows if you like extra goodies in your ice cream.
Or if you want a plain scoop of pumpkin ice cream, try adding a little freshly grated cinnamon to the top and enjoy!
Pumpkin season is truly one of the best times of the year and the first time I had pumpkin ice cream, I knew it was a game changer.
Print the recipe
I hope you love this easy pumpkin ice cream recipe as much as I do. It’s the perfect addition to every fall cookbook.
Perfect Homemade Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Ice Cream Maker Instructions (see post for detailed notes on using a KitchenAid Mixer with Ice Cream attachment)
- 1. Freeze ice cream maker bowl overnight before making recipe.
- 2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- 3. Transfer to your ice cream maker and prepare according to the manufacturer’s instructions. For KitchenAid, add the ice cream mixture to the freeze bowl with mixing attachment and mix on low for 25 minutes.
- 4. For soft serve, eat right away. For harder ice cream, transfer to a metal loaf pan or freezer safe air tight container and place in the freezer for 4 hours or longer.
No-Churn Pumpkin Ice Cream Instructions
- 1. Place a mixing bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- 2. In a medium size mixing bowl, add all ingredients except the heavy cream and combine using a spoon or hand mixer.
- 3. In the chilled mixing bowl, add the heavy cream and whisk on high (using a stand mixer or handheld mixer) until stiff peaks form.
- 4. Gently fold in the pumpkin mixture to the whipped cream until well combined but do not over mix.
- 5. Transfer to a metal loaf pan or freezer container, cover with parchment paper and freeze until ready (about 4 hours to overnight).
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.