I love this time of year because it’s time for the great pumpkin takeover. We love all things pumpkin spice in fall and these pumpkin rice krispie treats are the perfect sweet treat for fall.
This recipe is easy to make and would be perfect for a Halloween party or Thanksgiving dessert.
Let the kids help and watch their little faces light up.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
If you have ever made cereal treats before, this recipe will be familiar.
Simply add your crispy rice cereal to some butter, marshmallows and pumpkin with a few fun extras and enjoy!
- Rice Krispies Cereal – or another crispy rice cereal. We love how easy it is to mix this with the melted marshmallows but feel free to use whatever cereal you have.
- Canned Pumpkin – make sure to use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix.
- Butter – unsalted butter is recommended but it’s ok to use salted butter if that is what you have.
- Marshmallows – Either large or mini marshmallows are fine.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Hopefully you already have this pantry staple. If not, it’s easy to find.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – Nothing beats the real thing. If you have Mexican vanilla, even better!
- Cup White Chocolate Chips – Optional for the drizzle on top.
- Orange Gel Food Coloring – If you want to give your treats a color boost, feel free to add this. You can also shape the treats into rice krispie pumpkins. For this, I recommend adding green M&Ms to the tops as well.
How to Make Them
This easy recipe is as simple as it sounds. To get started, gather a 9×9 inch square pan, some paper towels, a saucepan, and a large bowl.
First, butter a 9×9 inch pan and set it aside.
Then open your can of pumpkin and spread the puree on a stack of paper towels. Let it sit for about 5-10 to draw out the moisture.
In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat and stir frequently to avoid burning. Add pumpkin and continue heating. Stir until well mixed.
Add in marshmallows and continue stirring over the heat until marshmallows are melted. Then add in pumpkin pie spice mix well.
If a deeper orange color is desired this is when you should add a few drops of orange food coloring.
Remove from heat and fold in rice krispies. I like to use a large bowl for this to make mixing easier.
This is messy work so I also prefer to use my hands and spray a little non-stick cooking spray on my hands to make working with the sticky mixture a little easier.
When mixed, evenly press mixture into prepared pan and allow to cool.
While the rice krispies mixture is cooling place white chocolate chips in a double boiler, or a heat safe bowl over a small pot of water.
Heat over medium/high heat stirring frequently until melted and smooth.
Then, place in a piping bag and gently drizzle across rice Krispies treats.
After cooling, cut into squares and enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container.
These easy treats would be great cut into squares. But if you want to get even more creative, another idea would be to press them into a pie plate and decorate with whipped cream to resemble pumpkin pie.
Or you could form your treats into pumpkin shape balls and add a pretzel stick or a green m&m to the top of each pumpkin for a stem. So cute!
You could even serve with our no-churn pumpkin ice cream.
Print the Recipe:
We love fun treats for Halloween parties, Thanksgiving parties, or whenever you want to have some tasty treats at home. I hope you love them!
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal (or other cereal)
- ¼ Cup Canned Pumpkin
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Bag of Marshmallows
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup White Chocolate Chips
- Orange Gel Food Coloring (optional)
- Butter a 9x9 inch pan.
- Spread pumpkin on a stack of paper towels and let it sit for about 5-10 to draw out moisture.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat stirring frequently.
- Add pumpkin and continue heating and stir until well mixed.
- Add in marshmallows and continue heating, stirring frequently until marshmallows are melted.
- Stir in pumpkin pie spice until evenly mixed.
- If a deeper orange color is desired add a few drops of orange food coloring.
- Remove from heat and fold in rice krispies (optional use a large bowl for this and spray hands with non-stick spray).
- Evenly press mixture into prepared pan and allow to cool.
- While the crispy rice mixture is cooling, place white chocolate chips in a double boiler, or a heat safe bowl over a small pot of water.
- Heat over medium/high heat stirring frequently until melted and smooth.
- Place in a piping bag and gently drizzle across Rice Krispies treats.
- Allow to cool and cut into 9 squares and serve.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is estimated and may vary based on products used. Please verify with your ingredients.