Creamsicle Orange Fluff Recipe
on Feb 21, 2023, Updated Mar 31, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This creamsicle orange fluff recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that combines creamy whipped topping, tangy orange gelatin, and sweet mandarin oranges.
It’s a refreshing dessert that is the perfect side dish for any occasion and is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Learn how to make orange fluff with our simple recipe and enjoy a light and fluffy dessert that’s bursting with citrus flavor.
This easy orange jello salad is probably like one your grandma used to make. A dessert salad that is bursting with citrus flavor and creamy pudding.
Enjoy this family favorite that is similar to a classic pineapple fluff salad served for a special occasion or family gathering.
This Orange Fluff Salad Recipe Is…
- Crowd favorite for potlucks, holiday events, summer cookouts and more.
- Great recipe to throw together for a delicious jello salad even your kids will enjoy.
- Easy prep and most of the time is spent refrigerating the fluff.
- Versatile in changing up the ingredients used in the orange creamsicle fluff.
Simple, easy to find ingredients make up this classic recipe.
Here’s what you need:
- Jell-o – Reach for a box of orange gelatin for this recipe.
- Water – Filtered water works best as it will ensure no added flavors happen to the jello.
- Pudding – Instant vanilla pudding is what I used as the base. It is creamy and for this orange jello fluff it adds a creamsicle flavor.
- Cool Whip – Thaw your Cool Whip and then let it be the fluff in this easy salad.
- Mandarin Oranges – Make sure to drain the oranges before adding to the salad.
- Canned Pineapple – Crushed pineapple works best for this sald. Make sure to drain off the excess juice as well.
- Mini Marshmallows – an essential fluff salad ingredient!
How to Make
Below is a visual walk through of the steps. Feel free to print or save the full recipe at the end of this post.
Begin this easy recipe by combining the orange Jell-o powder and hot water in a large bowl. Whisk until the powder dissolves completely. Next, add the cold water and stir well to combine.
Place the bowl in the refrigerator and let it chill for 15-20 minutes.
After chilling, add the instant vanilla pudding mix and whisk everything together, making sure to get the sides of the bowl for even mixing.
Return the bowl to the refrigerator and chill for another 15-20 minutes.
Once it has chilled, take the bowl out and add the Cool Whip. Gently fold everything together using a rubber spatula until well incorporated.
Add the drained mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, and mini marshmallows, and gently fold everything together again.
Be cautious not to damage the mandarin oranges.
Put the mixture back in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 2 hours before serving. This the flavors and textures to blend together beautifully.
Finally, serve and enjoy!
Tips For Fluffy Salad Recipe
- Chill the mixture: It’s important to chill the mixture in between adding the different ingredients. This allows each ingredient to set and thicken, and helps the flavors to blend together more effectively.
- Fold gently: When adding the Cool Whip, mandarin oranges, pineapple, and marshmallows, be sure to fold them in gently with a rubber spatula. Overmixing can cause the mixture to become too watery and prevent it from setting properly.
- Use fresh ingredients: Using fresh ingredients such as mandarin oranges will give your orange fluff a brighter and more vibrant taste.
Variations To Recipe
- Try another jello flavor like this Strawberry Fluff version.
- Use sugar free gelatin and whipped topping if you are looking for a sugar free dessert.
- Make homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip.
- Add in other fruit like maraschino cherries, diced grapes, etc.
- Top with some slivered almonds for a crunch to the fruity dessert salad.
- Add in 1/2 cup cottage cheese for a tangy flavor to the orange stuff salad.
Refrigerate: Orange fluff salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To store it properly, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container.
This will prevent the dessert from absorbing any odors from the refrigerator and keep it fresh.
Make Ahead: If you are planning to make the orange fluff salad ahead of time, it’s best to hold off on adding the mandarin oranges until just before serving.
This will help to prevent them from breaking down and getting too soft.
Can you use fresh oranges in place of canned mandarin oranges?
Yes, you can use fresh oranges in place of canned mandarin oranges, it’s important to remove the membranes and seeds before adding them to the salad.
Can you use homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip?
Yes, you can use homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip, but be aware that it may not hold up as well over time.
Does orange fluff salad freeze well?
No, orange fluff salad does not freeze well and may lose its texture and flavor if frozen.
Print the Recipe
Creamsicle Orange Fluff Salad
- 3 ounces orange gelatin
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup cold water
- 3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 30 ounces mandarin oranges, drained well
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple, drained well
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the orange Jell-o powder with hot water and whisk until the powder dissolves.
- Once dissolved, add the cold water and stir to combine. Then refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and add the instant vanilla pudding powder to the bowl and whisk to combine, making sure to get the sides of the bowl so everything is evenly incorporated. Place the bowl back in the fridge and chill for another 15-20 minutes.
- After it has chilled a bit, remove from the refrigerator and add the Cool Whip. Fold together with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated.
- Then add the drained mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, and mini marshmallows. Fold gently with a rubber spatula to combine. You want to be careful not to break apart the mandarin oranges.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 more hours before serving. This allows the cream to thicken, the flavors to blend together, and will soften the marshmallows.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.