Classic Pineapple Fluff Salad
on Feb 27, 2023, Updated Mar 31, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A classic pineapple fluff recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that combines creamy whipped topping, vanilla pudding, and sweet crushed pineapples.
This vintage recipe makes the perfect side dish for any occasion and is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Learn how to make pineapple fluff with our simple recipe and enjoy a light and fluffy dessert that’s loaded with flavor.
This old fashioned pineapple fluff salad is probably like one your grandma used to make. A classic dessert salad that is bursting with pineapple flavor and creamy pudding.
Enjoy this family favorite that is similar to a strawberry fluff salad served for a special occasion or family gathering.
This Pineapple Fluff Salad Recipe Is…
- Easy to make
- Kid Friendly
Simple, easy to find ingredients make up this classic recipe. And aside from the whipped topping, all the ingredients are shelf stable making it easy to keep everything you need on hand.
Here’s what you need:
- Crushed Pineapples in juice – You won’t drain the canned pineapples for this recipe so be sure to buy them packed in juice.
- Pudding – Instant vanilla pudding for the base. It is creamy and sweet and perfect for adding structure to this dish.
- Cool Whip – Thaw your Cool Whip and then let it be the fluff in this easy salad.
- Mini marshmallows – an essential fluff ingredient!
- Chopped Pecans – for some added texture and crunch
- Shredded coconut – for a sweet and tropical flavor
How to Make
Below is a visual walk through of the steps. Feel free to print or save the full recipe at the end of this post.
Begin this easy recipe by combining the vanilla instant pudding with the canned pineapple and the juice from both cans. Stir until the powder dissolves completely.
Add the Cool Whip and gently fold everything together using a rubber spatula until well incorporated. Be careful not to over mix.
Add the mini marshmallows, chopped pecans, and coconut to the pineapple mixture and gently fold everything together again.
Put the mixture in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
This allows the flavors and textures to blend together beautifully and also softens the marshmallows.
When ready to serve, top with more nuts and coconut and garnish with some fresh pineapples slices.
Variations To Recipe
- Use sugar free pudding and whipped topping if you are looking for a lower sugar option.
- Make homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip.
- Add in 1/2 cup cottage cheese for a tangy flavor to the pineapple salad.
- Mix in some coconut rum to make an adult Pina Colada fluff salad.
Refrigerate: Pineapple fluff salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To store it properly, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container.
Make Ahead: If you are planning to make the pineapple fluff salad a day ahead of time, wait until serving to add the toppings and garnish.
Can you use homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip?
Yes, you can use homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip, but be aware that it may not hold up as well over time.
Can you freeze pineapple fluff salad?
Generally speaking, fluff salad does not freeze well and may lose its texture and flavor if frozen. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Print the Recipe
Pineapple Fluff Salad
- 6.8 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix, 2 boxes of 3.4oz size
- 40 ounces cans crushed pineapple in juice, do NOT drain the juice (2 cans of 20 oz size)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut, plus more for topping
- 1 cup chopped pecans, plus more for topping
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the pudding mix with the pineapple and the juice until it thickens. Make sure there are no more streaks of powder.
- Fold in the whipped topping until combined, making sure not to over mix.
- Add the mini marshmallows, coconut shreds, and chopped nuts to the bowl and fold to combine.
- Place in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours for the marshmallows to soften and the flavors to blend together.
- When ready to serve, garnish with more toppings and serve chilled. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.