I’m here with another cute and easy Halloween snack. This time, I’m sharing the super simple chocolate mummy cookies.
They are so easy to make and will really pop on your Halloween party table right next to our no-bake brownie truffles.
Using a basic vanilla icing recipe and some candy eyeballs, these cookies are all treat and no tricks!
To get started, make sure you have a few pantry staples, a piping bag for the frosting, and of course those cute candy eyes!
For the Mummy Cookies, you will need:
- Corn Starch
- Cocoa Powder
- Butter (softened)
- Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Frosting:
- Butter (softened)
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Eye Shaped Sprinkles (for decorating)
I love these cookies because you can make a large batch all at once or a few at a time. Refrigerator dough is one of the best easy recipes because it is so versatile!
And if you need something even quicker, you could make these with packaged cookies as well. You know I love some shortcuts!
How to Make the Cookies
We’ll start with the cookie dough.
Grab a medium bowl and whisk together the flour, corn starch, cocoa powder, and salt.
Then, in a large bowl or electric mixer (I love my KitchenAid) combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and continue to mix until well blended.
Gradually pour in the flour mixture a little at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Once your ingredients are well combined, roll dough into a log with a diameter of about 1 ½ inches.
Then wrap it with parchment paper or wax paper and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Once your cookie mix is chilled and ready to bake, be sure to heat oven to 350F.
Remove from the fridge and carefully slice the dough into ¼- ½ inch slices and place on an ungreased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 8-12 minutes or until set and remove from oven. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
You will reach for this simple frosting again and again. It’s so quick and easy to make and creates the perfect chocolate mummy cookies!
In the bowl of an electric mixer mix butter until light and fluffy.
Add in powdered sugar a little at a time mixing between each addition. Then add in cream and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
Transfer icing to a piping bag with a small tip. Squeeze bag to gently frost in straight lines across the cookies to create the mummy wrappings.
Use a small dot of frosting on each eye sprinkle to secure them to the top of cookie. Continue until all cookies are decorated.
The frosting will dry on the outside to allow for easier storage of the cookies.
Place them in an airtight container and store in a cool dry place until ready to serve.
Print the Recipe
Be the hit of this years’ Halloween parties with very little effort. It doesn’t take much effort to wow them with these delicious and adorable holiday treats.
The best part is, you can reuse these ingredients for just about any occasion. Be sure to save our chocolate icebox cookies recipe so you can make them again and again!
Chocolate Mummy Cookies
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
For the Cookies:
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter softened
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla
For the Frosting
- 8 Tbsp Butter softened
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp Heavy Cream
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- Eye shaped sprinkles
To make the cookie dough:
- Whisk together flour, corn starch, cocoa powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and vanilla and continue to mix until well blended.
- Gradually add in flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Roll dough into a log with a diameter of about 1 ½ inches. Wrap with parchment or wax paper and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
When ready to bake:
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Carefully slice the dough into ¼- ½ inch slices and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Icing:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer mix butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in powdered sugar a little at a time mixing between each addition.
- Add in cream and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Using a piping bag pipe frosting in strips across the cookies creating “mummy wrappings”.
- Use a small dot of frosting on each eye sprinkle to secure them to the cookie and continue until all cookies are decorated.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.