One of my favorite cake hacks is using a soft drink with a box of cake mix. Have you heard about this? All you need to make this cream soda cake is 3 ingredients and I’ll show you how. This means you can have a birthday party dessert for around five dollars!
I love it when a recipe is easy, delicious and affordable. Who wouldn’t?
If easy recipes are your thing, be sure to try no-bake blueberry angel food cake and this easy lemon poke cake next!
This Cream Soda Recipe Is
- Budget friendly
- Easy dessert recipe
- Made with boxed cake mix
- Sweet treat
This is the easiest cake to make and there are so many different ways to make it special. Gather your simple ingredients and keep them on hand since they are shelf stable and you can freeze the Cool Whip until you need it.
Here’s what you need:
- White cake box mix – This recipe starts with a box mix. You can often find these at the dollar store or on sale at the grocery store.
- Cream Soda – This is added to the cake batter as well as the whipped topping to enhance the flavor of the cake.
- Cool Whip – We combine Cool Whip with more cream soda for the cake frosting. You can also use homemade stabilized whipped cream if you prefer.
- Sprinkles or crushed candy – Added as an optional topping if desired.
How to Make this Simple Recipe
Full steps on how to make this deliciously fluffy cake are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. Below is a quick visual walk through of the steps.
In a large bowl add the dry cake mix and slowly pour in 1 ½ cups of cream soda. This is about the equivalent of one can of cream soda.
Stir with a wooden spoon for about 2 minutes until batter forms and ingredients are well combined.
Pour batter into a 9×13 baking dish coated with non-stick cooking spray and bake in the preheated oven according to the cake directions. Baking time should be about 30 minutes at 350°F and a toothpick poked into the center of the cake should come out clean.
Let the cake cool to room temperature in the pan. I like to set my pan on a cooling rack to allow more air flow for cooling.
You can simply spread the Cool Whip over the cooled cake or if you want more cream soda flavoring, add another ¼ cup of cream soda to the tub of whipped cream and stir together.
Spread the cream soda frosting on top of the cake and garnish with fresh berries, sprinkles, or crushed root beer candies if desired.
Serve right away or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Try other soda cake recipes with different flavors like orange soda cake or lemon lime soda cake.
- Make cream soda cupcakes in a muffin tin instead by following the baking instructions on the back of the box.
- Make this cake for a holiday by using holiday colored sprinkles.
- Use vanilla frosting instead of Cool Whip for a truly shelf stable dessert that you can whip up at any time.
- Make a cream soda glaze by combining a little soda with powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency.
Refrigerate – Leftover cake should be refrigerated in an airtight container. You can enjoy it for up to 4 days.
Freezing – You can also freeze this easy cake in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw the cake in the fridge the night before and enjoy.
Print the Recipe Card
This easy cream soda cake recipe is great for birthday parties, family gatherings and more. I hope you love it!
3 Ingredient Cream Soda Cake
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 15 oz white cake mix
- 1 ¾ cup cream soda divided
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- Crushed root beer candies for garnish optional
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix and 1 ½ cups of cream soda.
- Mix with a wooden spoon for about 2 minutes until batter forms and ingredients are well combined.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake according to the directions on the back of the box. This should be about 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup of cream soda to the tub of whipped cream and combine.
- Spread the whipped topping over the cooled cake and garnish with candies if desired.
- Serve right away or refrigerate until ready to serve and enjoy.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.