This shamrock shake recipe is quick and easy and can be spiked! Or you can make it kid-friendly and leave out the booze – totally up to you.
With this fun twist on the classic McDonald’s shamrock shake, you’ll be ready to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in style.
Anything with ice cream you know is going to be good. Or if you are in the mood for something you can sink your teeth into, try some chocolate brownies with Irish cream frosting.
There’s no doubt that it’s fun to celebrate holidays and all things green food and drink. It’s amazing what a few drops of green food coloring will do to liven up the day.
What I love about these boozy shamrock shakes is that they’re adult fun for Saint Patrick’s Day without being too over the top. Add a bit of whipped cream and a cherry and you’ll be loving this boozy bourbon drink with every single sip.
If you’re looking for even more yummy drink recipes, check out The BEST St. Patrick’s Day Cocktails and get your drink menu planned!
Ingredient Shopping List
Making this delicious shake recipe proves that you don’t need a ton of ingredients. Just have the following on hand and get ready to enjoy:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whole milk
- Mmint extract
- Green food coloring
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon (optional)
How To Make a Spiked Shamrock Shake
Just three easy steps are all you need to make this drink recipe made for March! And it only takes 5 minutes to start enjoying your soon-to-be favorite St. Patty’s Day drink!
First, place all of the ingredients minus the alcohol in a large blender and blend together.
If you want some of your Shamrock Shakes without alcohol, go ahead and pour it out.
Then add the Bourbon and give it one more spin in the blender.
Enjoy right away, or transfer to the freezer.
You can drink your milkshake as is or top it with whip cream and a maraschino cherry. Or if you’re feeling lucky, a Luxardo cherry!
Toppings are so much fun to add and change up, so treat yourself and splurge!
How to Store
Keep in mind that this alcoholic shake is meant to be enjoyed as soon as you make it, but you can place it in the freezer to save it for later.
Give it a quick stir again if it’s not frozen all the way to mix that goodness back together.
Can you use a different type of alcohol?
You can! I would think that vanilla vodka would be a great addition because of the slight hint of vanilla.
If you have a favorite type of alcohol, use it! You can literally make it taste different every single time.
What are some good toppings for shakes?
It just depends on what you like. If you like sweets, crumbled cookies, or even mini chocolate chips would be amazing.
If you’re not a fan of sweets, you can opt for a sprinkle of cinnamon right on top, too.
I also think that drizzled hot fudge over the whipped cream would really make an awesome addition!
Tips and Tricks
- Use another flavor of ice cream to change up the taste. Vanilla ice cream is a safe bet but who says you can’t live it up? Mint ice cream would also be a great addition.
- If you don’t happen to have a blender, you can still make this drink. Let the ice cream soften a little bit then mix all the ingredients together by hand. Pop it in the freezer for a SHORT amount of time so it’s cool and enjoy.
- Using whole milk adds a nice richness to the recipe but you can use other milk options as well. Just know that if you use skim milk or nut milk, the texture will be a bit thinner than the way the recipe is written.
Print the Recipe
With St. Patty’s Day coming up fast, now is the time to stock up on all the ingredients that you need! Make a bit of room in the kitchen and blend this drink right up. Enjoy!
Shamrock Shake with Bourbon
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 6 drops mint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 3 Ounces Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- Place all of the ingredients in a large blender and pulse until smooth
- Divide into two chilled glasses and serve immediately or transfer to the freezer in an airtight container
- Enjoy as is, or top with whip cream and a maraschino cherry (or my favorite Luxardo cherry).
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.