Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
on Jun 01, 2023, Updated Jun 21, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie treats with peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, and mini Reese’s peanut butter cups, and take your classic cereal treats to the next level. They are rich, soft, and chewy.
Bring them to summer cookouts, enjoy them with school lunches, or sell them at a bake sale. They will go fast!
Here is why this recipe is amazing:
- Easy to make
- No bake dessert
These peanut butter Rice Krispie treats are perfect for the chocolate and peanut butter lover in all of us and so easy to prepare.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter – Use unsalted butter if you will add salt. Or use salted and omit the added salt.
- Salt – A touch of salt enhances all the flavors of these peanut butter Rice Krispies treats. Omit if using salted butter.
- Mini marshmallows – Gooey melted marshmallows add a touch of sweetness and also help to bind the ingredients together. We will also save some unmelted to mix in for texture.
- Rice Krispies cereal – The perfect cereal for treats! Puffed rice adds crunch and texture without b being overpowering in flavor.
- Reese’s peanut butter cup minis – The mini version of one of my favorite candies is the star of the show. We will halve them to mix in and also use as a topping.
- Reese’s peanut butter chips – Peanut butter chips are sweet and smooth. They are mixed in and also used as a topping.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – For added chocolate flavor, you can’t go wrong with chocolate chips!
Feel free to use your favorite rice cereal for these treats. Store brand is fine or you can even use Cocoa Krispies or Cocoa Pebbles for double chocolate peanut butter Rice Krispies treats.
If you don’t want to use peanut butter chips or want a little less sugar, mix in some creamy peanut butter instead.
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
This no-bake easy recipe is so full of flavor. Let’s make them!
First, use non-stick cooking spray to lightly coat the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter and stir in the salt.
Set aside a cup and a half of the mini marshmallows to mix in later. Then stir in the remaining marshmallows with the butter until melted.
Make sure to stir constantly so it does not burn. Remove the pot from heat as soon the mixture is fully melted.
Add the crispy rice cereal into the pot. Then add the marshmallows you set aside earlier. Then chop one cup of Reese’s peanut butter cup minis in half and add them to the mixture along with a half cup of peanut butter chips and a half cup of semisweet chocolate chips.
Gently stir the mixture until evenly combined.
Spread the mixture into the pan and press it down evenly. Do not pack it in too tight or it will become hard to eat.
Top with the remaining peanut butter chocolate mini cups, peanut butter chips, and semisweet chocolate chips. Gently press into the bars to help them stick.
Allow to cool in the pan on the counter to room temperature before cutting into bars. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Store leftovers in an airtight container or on a plate covered with plastic wrap. You don’t have to refrigerate these yummy marshmallow treats. I recommend eating them within about 2 days.
You can decorate this quick delicious treat for various holidays using colorful melting chocolate, icing or holiday sprinkles. You can even add a few chocolate eggs on top for an Easter version.
Printable Recipe Card
Print or share the recipe below. I hope you love this delicious chocolate peanut butter dessert!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Large pot
- 9×13 baking dish or 11×14 works too for thinner bars
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces mini marshmallows, divided
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 ½ cups Reese’s peanut butter cup minis, halved and divided
- ¾ cup Reese’s peanut butter chips, divided
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter and stir in the salt.
- Set aside 1 ½ cups of mini marshmallows to mix in later. Then pour the remaining marshmallows into the pot with the butter and melt over low heat. Make sure to stir constantly so it does not burn and remove the pot from the heat as soon as it is melted.
- Once the marshmallows have melted, remove the pot from the heat and add the rice krispies cereal, the 1 ½ cups of mini marshmallows set aside earlier, 1 cup of Reese’s peanut butter cup minis cut in half, ½ cup peanut butter chips, and ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips. Gently fold together until evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and spread it out evenly. Do not pack it in too tight otherwise it will become hard to eat.
- Top with the remaining Reese’s peanut butter cups, peanut butter chips, and semisweet chocolate chips and gently press it into the bars to help them stick.
- Allow to cool in the pan on the counter for 30-45 minutes before cutting into bars. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.