How to Make Pineapple Agua Fresca
on Apr 18, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
It’s not hard to learn how to make pineapple agua fresca for a hydrating treat you will enjoy all summer long. Agua frescas are a popular drink from Mexico that you can typically get from your favorite street vendors.
If you don’t have that option, make your own with fresh pineapple, water, sugar and lime.
Traditionally called Agua de piña, this is a refreshing drink that literally takes minutes to throw together and it’s so much better for you than plain pineapple juice or soft drinks.
I recently wrote about Strawberry Agua Fresca and I am equally as excited to share this pineapple version!
The Aztecs were really onto something by creating this refreshing beverage. These traditional Mexican drinks taste great and have much less added sugar making them a great alternative to packaged fruit juice.
And you can make them with a variety of fruit so it’s a great way to stay hydrated.
Why I Love this Summer Drink
- Made with fresh ingredients
- Easy recipe
- Kid friendly
- Good source of vitamins
- Non-alcoholic drink
Kids and adults love this fruity drink that uses simple ingredients you might already have on hand.
Here’s what you need:
- Fresh pineapple: The main ingredient in this recipe, fresh pineapple chunks are used to provide a sweet and fruity flavor to the aqua fresca. You’ll want to select a good pineapple that is ready to eat. One great way to make sure a pineapple is ripe is to look for a sweet smell coming from the base of the fruit.
- Fresh water: The water is used as the base for the aqua fresca, diluting the sweetness of the fruit.
- Lime juice: Fresh lime juice is added to the aqua fresca to provide a tangy, citrus flavor that complements the sweetness of the strawberries. It also helps to balance the overall taste of the drink.
- Sweetener: Granulated sugar or another sweetener, such as agave or simple syrup, is added to the aqua fresca to enhance the natural sweetness of the fruit and balance any tartness from the lime fruit juice.
- Garnish: Fresh pineapple or lime slices are optional garnishes that can be added to the finished drink for a touch of visual appeal.
How to Make Pineapple Agua Fresca
Full steps are featured below in the recipe card. This is a quick visual walk through on how to make this recipe.
Cut a pineapple into chunks and add it with the water and sugar and lime juice to a blender and blend until smooth. This should only take 1-2 minutes, depending on your blender. A high speed blender will not require much time.
Take a little sip and adjust to your taste. Add a little more sweetener or fruit, if desired. Blend again for a few seconds, if needed.
Drink right away or strain through a fine mesh strainer if you don’t want the pulp. Chill or enjoy as is over ice.
Serve chilled over ice and garnish with fresh pineapple wedges. Enjoy!
- Instead of ripe pineapple chunks, try making strawberry agua fresca, or other favorite flavors of fresh fruit like watermelon or cantaloupe.
- Instead of granulated sugar, try agave syrup, monkfruit sweetener, cane sugar or whatever other type of sweetener you have on hand.
- You can also a splash of sweetened coconut milk to make this a creamy coconut pineapple agua fresca.
- Add a little extra lime for more lime flavor in the drink.
- Add a few mint leaves to your glass for a little kick.
- If you want to make this flavored water in a large pitcher, feel free to double triple the recipe. I would wait to add ice cubes to each cup rather than the pitcher. This way it won’t get too watered down and you can enjoy a more intense fruit flavor.
- Make a bubbly version by only using one cup of water during blending. Then add the mixture to a glass of ice and top with club soda.
Leftover Storage Tips
Pour any leftover juice into a pitcher and store it in the fridge. I recommend drinking it with in a couple days for best results.
Print and Make this Drink Recipe
Make this pineapple drink to enjoy during the summer months and beyond. You will love having this to sip on a hot day and for good reason! Aguas frescas are a delicious way to get your water without sacrificing flavor. Enjoy!
Pineapple Agua Fresca
- 2 cups pineapple chunks. fresh
- 2 cups water, cold
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar, or other sweetener
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Extra pineapple for garnish, optional
- To your blender, add pineapple chunks, water, sweetener, and lime juice.
- Blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes, depending on your blender.
- Note a high powdered Ninja type blender only takes 1 minute, but I think a regular blender will take longer.
- Taste, for sweetness and add more, if desired. Blend again for a few seconds, if needed.
- If desired, strain through a fine mesh strainer, or enjoy as is over ice.
- Garnish with fresh pineapple, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.