These red white and blue cherries are the perfect patriotic snack. All you need are a few ingredients and a microwave and they will be ready to eat in under 15 minutes.
Make these cherry bombs for kids of all ages using fresh cherries, or grab a jar of cherries and add alcohol for a boozy version!
I love this idea for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veteran’s Day or anytime you feel like celebrating the old U. S. of A.
Ingredients for Chocolate Covered Patriotic Cherries
This recipe has only 3 simple ingredients. You can change it up easily if you want and I’ll share some ideas for that below.
What to buy:
- Fresh cherries
- White chocolate
- Blue sugar sprinkles
Chocolate Dipped Cherries Instructions
This snack is a quick and easy wait to get some cute patriotic food on the table! Here’s how to make them.
First, wash cherries leaving stems on and pat them dry with paper towels. You want to be sure the cherries are completely dry before dipping them in the chocolate. Set aside.
Then, in a small bowl, melt white chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
TIP: Don’t overheat the chocolate or it may seize and become unusable. I like to add a little bit of Crisco or coconut oil to my chocolate for consistency.
Dip each cherry into the chocolate leaving the top ⅓ of the cherry uncovered. Give it a little shake to allow excess chocolate to drip off.
Dip the bottom ⅓ of the chocolate covered cherries into the sugar sprinkles and place on a wax paper lined tray.
Place in refrigerator to set chocolate for about 5 minutes or until hardened.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
This little dessert can be made in a variety of ways! Here are a few variations to get you started.
- Use maraschino cherries for a sweeter and seedless option or if you don’t have access to fresh cherries. Just be sure to buy the ones with stems.
- Use green sanding sugar instead of blue to make these for Christmas.
- Use pink sprinkles to make a Valentine‘s Day treat.
- Use your favorite sports team colors to enjoy them on game day.
- Add them as a garnish on your favorite summer cocktail.
How to Make Drunken Cherries
To make the boozy cherry bombs version, all you need to do is presoak your cherries in Vodka. You can do this for few hours or a few days.
The longer they sit in the alcohol, the stronger it will be.
To make an alcoholic version of this chocolate covered cherries recipe, use a 12 ounce jar of cherries with stems and add it to a larger jar with 1 1/2 to 2 cups of vodka. Allow to sit overnight.
When ready to make, take the cherries out of the jar and pat dry. Then continue with the recipe above and enjoy!
Print the Recipe Card
Red, White and Blue Cherries
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 2 Small Bowls
- Wax Paper
- Paper towels
- 1 lb cherries
- 3 oz white chocolate
- 1/4 cup Sugar sprinkles blue
- Wash cherries leaving stems on and pat them dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, melt white chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth. You don't want to overheat the chocolate or it won't melt properly. (TIP: you can add a little Crisco or vegetable oil to help with melting).
- Dip each cherry into the chocolate leaving the top ⅓ of the cherry uncovered. Give it a little shake to allow excess chocolate to drip off.
- Dip the bottom ⅓ of the cherry into the sugar sprinkles and place on a wax paper lined tray.
- Place in refrigerator to set chocolate for about 5 minutes or until hardened.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.