For a fun take on pizza night, skip the pizza dough and make this delicious baked pizza pasta instead!
My husband likes to call it pizza casserole and fondly remembers his grandmother making this family favorite for him as a kid!
I guess my side of the family was too busy making strawberry pretzel salad to try this one. But I’m not complaining because now we can have both.
This baked pizza pasta supreme is easy to make and ready in about 30 minutes, which makes it a great dish to whip up on busy weeknights.
As an added bonus, the leftovers are great the next day.
Baked Pizza Pasta Ingredients
You’ll want to grab a few simple ingredients like your favorite pizza toppings, pasta, pasta sauce, and seasonings to pull this meal together in a hurry.
Here’s what you will need:
- Rotini Pasta – or penne pasta or elbow
- Italian sausage or ground beef
- Onion, finely diced
- Garlic, minced
- Italian seasoning
- Marinara sauce
- Pepperoni slices (mini or regular size)
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Grated mozzarella cheese
Additional Optional Ingredients
- Green bell pepper
- Sliced mushrooms
- Sliced black olives
- Red pepper flakes
- Parsley or Basil for garnish
Cooking Instructions for Baked Pizza Pasta
Preheat the oven, grab your pans, boil your noodles in a large pot, and let’s do this!
While your pasta is cooking on the stove top, use a large skillet to cook your ground beef or Italian sausage over medium heat.
Then, just before the meat is completely cooked, add onion and (optional) green pepper with garlic and seasonings and cook a little longer to give those Italian flavors a chance to really pop.
Remove from heat and drain grease off if necessary.
In a large bowl, add the sausage mixture (or browned ground beef) and pour in pasta sauce along with the pepperoni. Reserve a few slices for the top of the casserole bake.
Stir in mushroom and olives, if using.
Add drained pasta to the bowl and stir.
Scoop about half of the pasta mixture into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese to the top.
Repeat with remaining pasta and cheese. Then, add remaining pepperoni to the top.
Pop it in the oven and bake!
You’ll know it’s done when the cheese melts and is golden brown in a few places. SO GOOD.
Serve with shredded basil on top and some red pepper flakes. Or dress it up your favorite way.
This is such an easy recipe and might just become one of your favorite meals! It’s great for traditional pizza lovers who are looking for something a little different.
Print: Easy Pizza Pasta Bake Recipe
Baked Pizza Pasta Supreme Recipe
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 1 box 1 pound pasta – rotini, penne or elbow
- 1 pound Italian sausage or ground beef
- ½ cup onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 24 ounce jar marinara pasta sauce
- 1 cup pepperoni mini or regular size, divided
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese divided
- Additional Optional Ingredients
- ½ cup green pepper
- 1 can 4 ounce sliced mushrooms
- 1 can 2.25 ounce sliced black olives
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray
- Cook pasta according to directions on box, drain
- In a large skillet cook Italian sausage over medium heat
- Just before the sausage is completely cooked, add onion and green pepper if using and cook about 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic and Italian seasoning and continue cooking 1 minute until fragrant
- Remove from heat and drain grease off if necessary
- Add meat to large bowl and pour in pasta sauce with about ¾ cup pepperoni
- Add in mushroom and olives, if using and stir
- Add drained pasta and stir to combine well
- Scoop about ½ of the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish
- Sprinkle ½ of the Parmesan cheese and ½ of the mozzarella cheese to the top
- Repeat with remaining pasta and cheese
- Add remaining pepperoni to the top
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted
- Remove from oven and let set about 5 minutes before serving and top with basil or parsley and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.