Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
on Nov 29, 2022, Updated Feb 09, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Enjoy this take on a classic chicken dish with our chicken Cordon Bleu casserole. All the same flavors of a classic cordon bleu but in a casserole form.
It’s an easy recipe perfect for a simple weeknight dinner. Made with tender chicken and diced ham in a cheesy sauce and topped with buttery breadcrumbs for crunch.
If you love a traditional cordon bleu, this dish will hit the spot.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe Is..
- Delicious Comfort Food
- Great for Busy Weeknights
- Family Friendly
- Cheesy and savory
This casserole dish uses simple ingredients you might already have on hand. And if you use pre-diced meat, you can save even more time.
Chicken – Use cooked chicken breast and then dice it up, or use leftover chicken. You just want to ensure the chicken is fully cooked. Rotisserie chicken and even canned chicken will work.
Ham – Diced ham can be purchased from the store or use leftover ham from the holidays.
Sour Cream – Used as the base for the sauce. It is so creamy and rich in flavor.
Cheese – Swiss cheese and parmesan cheese are used in this easy chicken cordon bleu casserole. I recommend shredded parmesan rather than grated. And if you can grate your own Swiss cheese you may find it more flavorful.
Flour – This is the thickening agent to help give the sauce that thick creaminess.
Milk – I recommend whole milk for the richest flavor.
Dijon Mustard – Used in the dijon sauce that really brings a tangy component to the casserole.
Butter – I prefer real butter to margarine, but feel free to adjust to your preference.
Panko – If you can’t find panko breadcrumbs, classic breadcrumb or crushed crackers work just as well.
Garlic Powder – When in doubt, add garlic!
Serve with salt and pepper for seasoning to taste.
How to Make This Cordon Bleu Casserole
Full steps are below this is a quick walk through on how the casserole is made.
First, preheat the oven and prep your casserole baking dish. A 9×13 baking dish works well.
Spread cooked chicken on the bottom of casserole pan, and then top with the diced ham.
In a medium pan melt butter on medium heat and add in the flour.
Whisk for around 1-2 minutes. You want the flour mixture to turn golden brown.
Whisk in the milk and then add in the sour cream, garlic, salt, and mustard.
Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes on a low heat.
Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
Pour the cheese sauce over the ham and chicken, and top with a little more melted butter.
Then, in a small mixing bowl, add bread crumbs and butter and use a fork to combine.
Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
Bake as directed and remove to a cooling rack.
Let stand for a few minutes and enjoy!
Variations and Tips for Success
- Swap the milk with heavy cream to make this dish richer in flavor.
- Try adding thin lunch meat for this dish instead of diced ham for a lighter texture.
- Add in a splash of white wine when you stir in the cheese for added flavor.
- Sprinkle a little onion powder with the garlic powder when seasoning.
- Rotisserie chicken is great to use for this easy chicken casserole and saves on time.
Leftover casserole can be covered and refrigerated for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave or cover with foil and warm up in the oven.
This meal can be frozen and enjoyed for up to 3 months. To reheat from frozen, bake for about one hour or until done in a 350°F oven.
What to Serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Here are some great side dishes to consider serving with this casserole. Any steamed or roasted vegetable will work, but here are a few ideas.
- Garlic green beans
- Broccoli – steamed or roasted
- Brussels sprouts
- Fresh salad
- Dinner Rolls
- Roasted butternut squash
- Air-fryer potatoes
Yes, it does. You will find this is an easy weeknight dinner that takes a lot less prep work than a traditional cordon bleu. But you will get the same great flavors in one wholesome dish the whole family can enjoy.
If you don’t want to have a larger casserole, go right ahead and half the recipe ingredients to whip up a smaller batch of this casserole. Use a smaller pan and cook the casserole the same as you would if in a larger pan.
Print the Recipe Card
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 6 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
- 2 cup diced ham
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated Swiss cheese, one 8oz brick
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray
- Spread the cooked chicken in an even layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly spread the chopped ham across the chicken.
- In a medium pot melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in 4 flour and continue cooking for about 2 minutes or until the flour mixture is bubbling and starting to turn a golden brown.
- Whisk in milk about ½ cup at a time until it is all incorporated.
- Add in garlic, sour cream, salt and mustard, stir to mix well.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in shredded swiss, and parmesan cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is melted and well incorporated.
- Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the ham and chicken.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- In a medium bowl combine the bread crumbs and melted butter, mixing well.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly across the top of the cheese sauce.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes or until bread crumbs are a nice golden brown.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.