Don’t let fresh butternut squash intimidate you! This easy roasted butternut squash recipe will make a great side or base for soup. You’ll love it!
Butternut squash was always a vegetable that intimidated me. But once I learned how to roast it, the game was forever changed.
I love making Butternut Squash Soup in the fall and while sometimes I cheat a little and buy packaged cubes, there’s just something about roasting it that adds an extra level of goodness to any recipe.
Roasting is my preferred cooking method for just about any veggie. Here’s how!
How to Peel and Cut a Butternut Squash
You can always slice your squash in half, core it and roast it that way. But if you want some nice cubes for a side dish, you’ll want to add a couple steps to this process.
First, using a vegetable peeler, remove the tough outer layer of the squash.
Note: You may have to go over it a couple times to be sure it’s all gone.
Once your squash is peeled, chop it in half and scoop out the seeds.
Chop in to a few manageable pieces and dice into cubes.
How to Roast Butternut Squash
Once your squash is cubed, place it on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Roast for about 15 minutes, stir, and continue cooking for another 10 minutes or until they are tender. That’s it!
Once your squash is cooked, you can puree it for soup or season it to taste.
Some great options for flavor are drizzled honey, rosemary, or parsley. Garlic is another favorite! Butternut squash is very versatile and can be seasoned to match your main dish.
Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 Butternut squash
- 2 TBSP Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or rosemary, optional for garnish to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cut off the ends of the squash
- Peel off the skin of the squash
- Cut in half just above where the seeds are located
- Cut portion with seeds in half
- Scoop out seeds with a spoon
- Slice and cube the top half of the squash and repeat with the bottom half
- Place cubed pieces on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper and toss to make sure it is evenly coated
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and stir.
- Replace for an additional 10 minutes or until fork tender