Guest post by Jessica from The B Keeps Us Honest. This homemade Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream recipe looks delicious!
I like just about any fruit. But up until about… Oh a month ago I thought I hated cherries. See, I’ve only ever had maraschino cherries and their yucky bug juice.
The red dye used in maraschino cherries comes from crushed female cochineal beetles.Yes, really!
So I’d written off cherries as one of the few fruits I will never eat. That was until I politely declined a fresh cherry that a friend offered me.
She asked if I’d ever tried one and to my recollection, I had not so I gave it a go.
Lo and behold, it was delicious. Who knew?
So I decided to make homemade Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream for Father’s Day. (It’s one of Joe’s favorites.)
This recipe uses an ice cream maker or ice cream attachment for your mixer like this one.
Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream Ingredients
Just a few ingredients and you are good to go.
Stock up on heavy cream, vanilla extract and a vanilla bean, salt, sugar, and of course cherries!
Here’s how to make delicious homemade Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
This recipe makes a thick and creamy gelato-like ice cream. You could easily add chocolate chips or anything else really.
Cherry vanilla ice cream is one of the easier ice cream recipes I’ve made and totally worth the time.
Serve it with this glazed pound cake and enjoy!
Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 3 cups - heavy cream
- 3/4 cup - granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean - split in half lengthwise
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped fresh cherries pitted
- In a medium sauce pan, pour 1 cup heavy cream then add the sugar and salt. Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the pan and add the pod. Stir the mixture over medium heat, until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract and the rest of the heavy cream.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in a covered container. (about 25 min)
- Remove the vanilla bean before churning, just rinse it and reserve for another use.
- Follow the manufacturers directions for your ice cream maker.
- Add cherries for the last 5 minutes of churning
- Serve immediately or freeze and eat later!
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.