Cookies and Cream Poke Cake
on Apr 28, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If there is one thing I love it’s an Oreo cookie. This is not up for debate. Any time I am asked what name brands I will always buy over cheaper options, it’s Oreo. That’s why our cookies and cream poke cake is full of Oreo goodness in every layer including the frosting.
This one is a must try for the Oreo lovers in your life.
This is another shortcut recipe, because that’s how I roll. Especially in the summer months when I have much more fun things to do than sweat in my kitchen! Let’s make it!
This Oreo Cake Recipe Is
- Easy dessert
- Great for a special occasion or bake sale
- Made with boxed cake mix
Make this cake for special occasions and serve with a scoop of ice cream for a real sundae!
Here’s what you need:
- White cake box mix – This recipe starts with a box mix. If you have a favorite homemade white cake recipe, feel free to use it instead.
- Vegetable Oil – Added according to the box instructions. This is used to prepare the cake batter.
- Eggs – Used in the cake mix according to the package directions.
- Water – You will use water for the cake mix as well.
- Milk – Milk is used to thicken the pudding mix. I prefer whole milk for this recipe for the extra creaminess.
- Oreo instant pudding mix – Prepared with milk and poured over the baked cake to add flavor and moisture to this delicious cake.
- Oreo Cookies – Crushed cookies will be added into the cake batter and used to decorate the top of the cake.
- Cool Whip – We combine Cool Whip with more pudding mix for the cake frosting. You can also use homemade stabilized whipped cream if you prefer.
How to Make it
Full steps on how to make this easy cake are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. Below is a quick visual walk through of the steps.
Preheat oven according to the boxed mix instructions and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, water, oil, and eggs until there are no lumps.
Stir in crushed Oreos to the cake batter. To crumble cookies, place in a plastic zip top bag and gently crush with a rolling pin.
Pour cake batter into the baking pan, and bake in the preheated oven according to box directions.
Allow the warm cake to cool to room temperature, then use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together one package of instant pudding mix and 2 cups of cold milk. Continue whisking for about 2 minutes.
When it begins to thicken, pour pudding mixture over the top of the cake base into the holes and smoothing the rest over the top of the cookies and cream cake.
Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil and move to the refrigerator to chill for about 2 hours.
After chilling, prepare the frosting. Whisk together the other package of Oreo pudding mix with 1 ½ cups cold milk. Add the whipped topping and whisk to combine.
Pour over the top of the cake and smooth over evenly.
Sprinkle chopped Oreos over the top of the cake and enjoy!
- For extra flavor, use a rich chocolate cake mix instead of white cake.
- Make this Oreo poke cake recipe into cupcakes instead by following the baking instructions on the back of the box.
- Make this cake for a holiday by using holiday colored sprinkles.
- Try using different flavors of cookies like Golden Oreos and vanilla pudding flavor.
Refrigerate – Leftover cake should be refrigerated in an airtight container. You can enjoy it for up to 4 days.
Freezing – You can also freeze this easy Oreo poke cake in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw the cake in the fridge the night before and enjoy.
Print the Recipe Card
This easy cookies and cream poke cake recipe is great for birthday parties, weekend get togethers and more. I hope you love it!
Cookies and Cream Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 box white cake mix + ingredients on back, water, oil, egg whites
- 2 cups Oreo cookies, crushed
- 2 boxes Oreo cookies & cream pudding mix
- 3 ½ cups cold milk, divided
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1 cup Oreos, roughly chopped
- Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick spray and set aside. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the white cake mix according to box directions and stir in crushed cookies as the last step. Pour into 9×13 pan and bake according to cake mix box directions.
- Once baked, allow the cake to cool. Then, poke holes throughout the top of the cake with the back of a wooden spoon handle or something similar.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 package of Oreo pudding mix and 2 cups of cold milk. Continue whisking for about 2 minutes. Once pudding begins to thicken, pour over the top of the cake into the holes and smooth the rest over the top of the cake. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil and move to the refrigerator to chill for about 2 hours.
- After chilling, prepare the frosting with the other package of pudding mix and 1 ½ cups cold milk. Fold in the Cool Whip and whisk to combine.
- Spread over the top of the cake and smooth over evenly. Sprinkle chopped Oreos over the top of the cake. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.