I think poke cake recipes are so cool and fun to make. Not only are they full of flavor, they are so colorful and festive! It’s so easy to make a cake that’s exactly what you love with these strawberry jello cake recipes.
You can keep it simple or level up with a few extra ingredients.
The choice is yours and the end results will be delicious cake that is great for family gatherings or your next summer celebration.
If you love strawberry desserts, keep reading to learn how to make a strawberry poke cake three different ways.
Strawberry Poke Cake Shopping List
You’ll need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious dessert. For this recipe, we’re using a box cake mix. But feel free to bake your favorite vanilla cake recipe if you have one.
Next time you head to the grocery store, be sure you grab the following items.
Strawberry Jello Cake Ingredients List:
- Yellow or white boxed cake mix (or your favorite easy cake recipe)
- Vegetable Oil
- Strawberry Jell-o mix
- Cool Whip (or your favorite whipped topping)
- Fresh strawberries
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon juice
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Cream cheese
Once all of your ingredients are prepared, this simple recipe comes together very quickly!
How to Make Strawberry Poke Cake with Jello
The first step is to bake your cake and allow plenty of time for it to cool. If using a box cake mix, prepare it according to the directions and pour the cake batter into a 9×13 pan that has been coated with cooking spray.
Then, while your cake is baking, you can whip up your strawberry dessert topping.
In a medium sauce pan, add the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice and cook until thickened.
Once the topping coats the back of a spoon, pour it into a heat proof bowl and set aside.
Prepare the strawberry flavor jello and boiling water as directed on the box and put into a jar that is easy to pour from.
After the cake is baked and cooled enough to touch comfortably-warm, but not hot (about 15 minutes), poke holes in the cake with the end of a wooden spoon.
Then, pour the prepared jello over the cake evenly and spread the strawberry dessert topping over the cake.
Add whipped topping using a rubber spatula and place sliced fresh strawberries on the top of the cake.
Refrigerate for several hours so everything has a chance to set. Serve cold and enjoy!
Strawberry Poke Cake Variations
For a strawberries and cream poke cake, try adding a can of sweetened condensed milk before you pour in the strawberry sauce.
This results in a rich and moist cake that really kicks it up a notch! Top with Cool Whip and fresh strawberries.
Or, for an even richer cake with a hint of cheesecake, combine an 8 oz package of cream cheese with your condensed milk (until smooth).
Pour over holes made in the baked cake before adding the strawberry jello mix and top with whipped cream and strawberries.
More Strawberry Cake Ideas
Still have strawberries to use? I love baking with strawberries and there are so many ways to enjoy them!
And this fresh strawberry puree is sweet and thick enough to use on pancakes, cheesecake or a hot fudge sundae!
Head to this post for even more delicious strawberry dessert ideas.
Print the Strawberry Jello Cake Recipe
- 1 Box yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1 pkg strawberry Jello mix, prepared
- 10 oz Cool Whip
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- Prepare cake mix according to directions and pour into a 9x13 pan and bake.
- While cake is baking, prepare strawberry dessert topping in a medium sauce pan. Add one cup of strawberries, sugar and lemon juice and cook until thickened (about 6 minutes). It will take longer to thicken if using frozen fruit. Once the topping coats the back of a spoon, pour into a heat proof bowl and set aside.
- Once the cake is baked, remove from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the Jello as box instructs and put into a jar that is easy to pour from.
- Slice the rest of the strawberries for the top of the cake.
- Once the cake is cooled enough to touch comfortably-warm, but not hot, poke holes in the cake. Use the handle of a wooden spoon and poke in fairly even lines all the way up the cake.
- Once the holes are poked, pour the prepared jello over the cake evenly.
- Then, spread the strawberry dessert topping evenly over the cake.
- Top the cake with the cool whip and the sliced strawberries, then place in the refrigerator for 3 hours so everything has a chance to set.
- Serve cold and enjoy!
- Variation 1: Pour one cane sweetened condensed milk in the holes before adding Jello. Continue from step 7.
- Variation 2: Combine one 8 ox pkg cream cheese with one can of sweetened condensed milk and add to cake before pouring Jello. Continue from step 7.
Nutrition information does not include either of the 2 variations. If you decide to add the optional ingredients, the below nutritional information will change.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 1gSugar: 47gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is estimated and may vary based on products used. Please verify with your ingredients.