The words strawberry and shortcake go hand in hand and this easy recipe made from scratch will have you asking for more!
Honestly, I will eat strawberries and cream in just about any configuration so add this to my already long list of easy recipes with strawberries and I will be one happy mama.
Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients
The wonderful thing about this classic strawberry shortcake recipe is how easy it is to make!
My mom made this all the time and now I can see why. I always thought it was super fancy, but really there’s not much to it! Yay mom!
Add these items to your strawberry shortcake shopping list:
- Strawberries (the star of the show!)
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter (cold and cut into small pieces)
- Heavy Cream
- Coarse sugar (for sprinkling on top of the shortcakes)
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
The main event for this recipe is of course, the shortcakes. But there is a little bit to the timing of it all.
The first thing you need to do is slice your strawberries and sprinkle them with sugar.
Let them rest in the refrigerator while you do everything else and when it’s time to eat, the sugar will have drawn out the sweetness and juices in the berries. Yum!
To make the biscuits in a food processor, pulse together the dry ingredients.
Then add the butter pieces and finally the milk as noted in the recipe below.
Roll out your dough and you are ready to cut!
Before you put the shortcakes in the oven, brush them with a bit of cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
While they are baking, go ahead and whip your cream for the topping. This part is my favorite!
Waiting for the cakes to cool enough to handle will be the hardest part of this process, I assure you!
For another fun twist on this classic dessert, try our no churn strawberry shortcake ice cream!
Print: Strawberry Shortcake Recipe from Scratch
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe from Scratch
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 1 pound 16 ounce strawberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup 1 + ½ sticks unsalted butter, very cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream plus more for brushing biscuits
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling on shortcakes
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Prepare strawberries
- Clean and slice strawberries and add to large bowl
- Sprinkle with sugar
- Cover and place in refrigerator
- For the shortcakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat
- In a food processor, add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar ** see notes
- Pulse until well combined
- Add butter and mix until butter is broken and mixture is coarse
- Pour milk on top of flour mixture and mix just until the dough begins to form a ball
- Remove dough onto lightly floured surface
- Form dough into large disk
- Roll dough out slowly until about 1 inch thick
- Use a floured biscuit cutter to cut circles
- Lightly brush with extra heavy cream or buttermilk
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar
- Place close together on prepared baking sheet
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven onto wire rack and cool
- Prepare whipped topping while shortcakes are cookingMix cold heavy cream, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer fitted with a whisk until stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes
- Slice biscuits in half
- Top bottom with whipping cream and strawberries
- Add top of cake, plus more whipping cream and strawberries
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.