Hot Fudge Sundae Poke Cake
on Apr 28, 2023, Updated May 18, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Make a decadent hot fudge poke cake for a deliciously rich chocolate dessert. This cake is for the serious chocolate lover and big enough to share! Make it for a birthday party, summer celebration, or church potluck.
We start with a basic chocolate cake and infuse it with sweet cream and hot fudge sauce. Top with a light whipped topping and decorate and this easy dessert is ready.
This Hot Fudge Poke Cake Recipe Is
- Moist chocolate cake
- Great for a special occasion or bake sale
- Made with boxed cake mix
Make this cake for special occasions and serve with a scoop of ice cream for a real sundae!
Here’s what you need:
- Chocolate box cake mix – This recipe starts with a box mix. If you have a favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe, feel free to use it instead.
- Vegetable Oil – Added according to the box instructions. This is used to prepare the cake batter.
- Eggs – Used in the cake mix according to the package directions.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Poured over the baked cake to add flavor and moisture to the hot chocolate poke cake.
- Water – You will use water for the cake mix as well.
- Hot fudge – Warm hot fudge filling takes this decadent chocolate poke cake to the next level.
- Cool Whip – This will be the topping on the cake. You can also use homemade stabilized whipped cream if you prefer.
- Chocolate syrup – Used to drizzle over and decorate the cake.
- Rainbow sprinkles – Colorful sprinkles make the cake slices look like hot fudge sundaes.
- Maraschino cherries – The perfect finishing touch!
How to Make it
Full steps on how to make this easy cake are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. Below is a quick visual walk through of the steps.
Preheat oven according to the boxed mix instructions and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, water, oil, and eggs until there are no lumps.
Pour cake batter into the pan, and bake in the preheated oven according to box directions.
Allow the cake to cool to room temperature, then use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake.
Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top of the cooled cake and spread it evenly.
Open the jar of hot fudge and heat it for 30 seconds at a time until it is warm enough to pour.
Pour the warm hot fudge over the cake and spread it evenly.
Place the cake in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
Spread the whipped topping over the top of the cake and return it to the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.
When ready to serve, drizzle chocolate syrup on top of the cake and decorate with rainbow sprinkles. Top each slice with a cherry and serve!
- For a Snickers poke cake, pour caramel sauce over the cake instead of sweetened condensed milk and top with chopped Snickers candies.
- Sprinkle some chocolate chips and mini marshmallows on top of the cake.
- Make this cake for a holiday by using holiday colored sprinkles.
Refrigerate – Leftover cake should be refrigerated in an airtight container. You can enjoy it for up to 4 days.
Freezing – You can also freeze this moist chocolate cake in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw the cake in the fridge the night before and enjoy.
Print the Recipe Card
Hot Fudge Poke Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients needed on back of box
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 11.5 ounces hot fudge, warmed
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate syrup and rainbow sprinkles for topping
- 15 maraschino cherries
- Allow the cake to cool completely, then use a wooden skewer or handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top of the cake and spread it evenly.
- Pour the warm hot fudge over the cake and spread it evenly.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Spread the whipped topping over the top of the cake and return it to the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.
- When ready to serve, drizzle chocolate syrup over the top of the cake and decorate with rainbow sprinkles and a cherry for each slice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.