This easy homemade caramel sauce with brown sugar is deliciously gooey and pourable so you can enjoy as a topping on everything from ice cream to apple cider cake!
Caramel sauce is super easy to whip up and it is such a great topping or dip!
All you need to make this easy recipe is 5 basic ingredients and you may already have them in your pantry! It would be amazing drizzled over these chocolate caramel cookies.
- Brown Sugar
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Unsalted Butter
- Pure Vanilla Extract
You will use a saucepan on the stovetop and a spoon for stirring. To store, be sure to have a jar with a lid or other airtight container.
How to Make Homemade Caramel Sauce
Over medium heat add brown sugar, butter, salt and heavy whipping cream to a saucepan.
Gradually bring to a boil by increasing heat gradually.
Stir constantly and let cook at a boil for about 5-7 minutes or until the caramel thickens.
Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
Allow to cool for a few minutes and transfer to your jar or container with lid.
You can enjoy your yummy dessert topping immediately or save it for later!
What to Serve with Caramel Sauce
Well I’m sure you can agree that caramel is good on just about anything! Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy it.
Pour warm caramel topping over one or all of these tasty treats:
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Fresh Apple Slices
- Fudge Brownies
- Apple Cider Donut Cake
- Apple Pie
Print the Recipe
Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Try making your own caramel topping with pantry ingredients you probably already have! You may never buy caramel again!
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter (equivalent to one stick)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, salt and heavy whipping cream
- Bring to boil and cook stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes or until thickened
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract
- Let cool slightly
- Add to jar or container with lid
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in airtight sealed container.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.