French Apple Cake Recipe
on Sep 27, 2022, Updated Mar 30, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This French apple cake is the perfect recipe for fall. A fluffy and light cake batter that is full of fresh apple slices in every bite.
This French cake is one that offers a gorgeous presentation and is so simple to throw together.
Even if you aren’t a pro in the kitchen, you can pull off this easy classic French apple cake.
Pair it with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and you have one amazing dessert.
Learn how to make apple syrup for another easy apple season recipe that is bursting with crisp sweet apples flavor. Or for a more traditional dessert try these apple bars or my popular apple cider bundt cake.
This French Apple Cake Recipe Is
- Made with simple ingredients
- One of the easiest cakes
- Made with crisp apples
- Delicious afternoon snack or for special occasions
- Granny Smith Apples – Granny smith offers that tart that balances out the sweet of this yummy cake. Tart apples work best but you can use another variety of apples if you want.
- Unsalted Butter – If you use a salted butter just leave the salt out in the recipe.
- Baking Powder
- Large Eggs
- Pure Vanilla Extract – Don’t forget this ingredient. It really helps elevate the cake and flavor of the fresh apples.
- Cinnamon – Offers a warm spice to the cake that really enhances the flavor.
How to Make it
Full directions on how to make this traditional French apple cake is featured at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk through on how this dessert is made.
Start by coring the apples and slice into 1/2 inch slices. If you want to peel the apples, do that before coring, but you can leave the skin on if you like.
Add the lemon juice to a cup of water to soak apples. This helps prevent the apples from turning brown while you prepare the cake batter.
Next, preheat the oven and grease your 9 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Add butter to a microwave-safe bowl and heat to melt. Set it aside to cool.
In a small bowl add your dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Set it aside.
Then, in a large bowl mix your eggs and sugar with a hand mixer or electric stand mixer for around a minute.
You want the mixture to become frothy.
Add in the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Then slowly add in the flour mixture a little at a time.
After you add a bit of the flour mixture, slowly add in half of the melted butter and then finish off with the remaining dry ingredients.
Pour the apple cake batter into the prepared pan, and spread it out. Remove apples from water and pat dry with paper towels.
Place the apples on top of the cake, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake as directed.
When the cake is cooked through, remove from oven and top with cinnamon or caramel sauce. Cool, serve and enjoy!
Tips and Variations to Recipe
- You can use a dark rum to make a glaze with powdered sugar if you want to drizzle over the top of the cooled cake.
- Feel free to use other kinds of apples like pink lady, honey crisp, or your favorite variety.
- When the cake is completely cool you can dust with powdered sugar to give it a rustic cake appearance.
- Run a knife around the sides of the springform pan to ensure the cake will release easily.
Store your cake in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. Refrigerating the apples extends the life of your cake. You can serve at room temperature if you would like.
Feel free to freeze any of the cake you do not eat right away. Just place in a freezer friendly container and freeze for 3-4 months.
Then thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for about an hour or heat when ready to eat.
Print the Recipe Card
French Apple Cake
- 1 9" spring form pan
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, large
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp cinnamon, to taste
- Core, peel, and slice the apples into 1⁄2 inch slices.
- Add one tablespoon of lemon juice to one cup of water in a bowl.
- Put apple slices in a bowl while prepping other steps.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep the 9 inch springform pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Add the unsalted butter to a bowl and melt in the microwave. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Then, in a large mixing bowl add eggs and sugar whisking with an electric mixer for about 1 minute (or until it becomes frothy).
- Add in the pure vanilla extract.
- Gently pour in half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend with the electric mixer.
- While blending the wet and dry ingredients together, pour in half of the melted butter.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. Mix to blend the ingredients.
- Add in the rest of the melted butter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared round springform pan and use a offset spatula even out the batter.
- Remove the apple slices from the lemon/water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange apple slices on top of the cake batter and sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the counter before enjoying!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.