Kick your margarita game up a notch with this easy skinny spicy margarita recipe! This is the perfect drink for summer that’s low in calories and high in flavor.
Not only is it refreshing, but also low in calories, easy to make, and bursting with flavor. While not sugar free, the sugar found in the natural ingredients makes for an all around healthier margarita. Sounds like a win to me!
Why I love a skinny spicy jalapeño margarita
A traditional margarita can have over 500 calories and is high in sugar, which can really add up on those warmer days.
This skinny version is made with fresh ingredients and sweetened with honey instead of using a mix. The pepper adds a spicy kick that makes this margarita unique and refreshing.
Simple Ingredients Needed
Make this easy recipe for Cinco de Mayo, taco night, or for a weekend happy hour with friends. You will love how fresh and tasty it is!
Here’s what you need:
- Crushed ice – Used to shake and chill the drink. You can also blend in the ice for a frozen version.
- Silver tequila – Since this is the star of the show, I recommend using a quality type of tequila you really enjoy.
- Fresh-squeezed lime juice – You will use the juice of several fresh limes plus more for garnish.
- Fresh orange juice – Use the juice of fresh oranges instead of triple sec or orange liquor to cut on calories.
- Jalapeño pepper – Jalapeño slices will give a kick to your tasty margarita and add the perfect amount of heat. You can always make it spicier by leaving the seeds intact.
- Honey – Use honey or your favorite sweetener instead of simple syrup or margarita mix for this spicy skinny margarita recipe.
- Tajin – Add tajin instead of salt on the rim of your glass for a touch of chili peppers and added lime.
How to Make it
A fresh margarita is one of my favorite cocktails in the summer and ever since I started added fresh jalapeños into the mix, I love them even more. Not having to worry about having too much sugar has been a game changer.
Get started by adding a layer of Tajin onto a small plate, making sure it’s wide enough to fit the diameter of your margarita glasses. This will be used instead of a salt rim or you can leave it off altogether.
Take a lime wedge and rub the rim of each glass, then turn a glass upside down and dip the rim into the Tajin, gently twisting to adhere the Tajin to the rim.
Pour ice into each glass and set aside until ready to serve.
In a cocktail shaker, add ½ cup crushed ice, tequila, lime juice, orange juice, jalapeño slices, and honey.
Close the shaker and shake vigorously for 30-60 seconds.
Strain the margarita into each glass and garnish with a slice of lime, orange, or jalapeños. Enjoy!
Tips and Substitutions
This healthier version of a classic margarita recipe is delicious and versatile. Check out some of the different ways you can create this yummy drink.
- Use agave syrup or monk fruit instead of honey
- If you don’t like Tajin you can use coarse salt instead or leave it off.
- Add a splash of club soda to make this a sparkling margarita.
- For even more citrus, add some fresh grapefruit juice.
- Roll the oranges and limes back and forth before cutting into them. This will make them juicier.
- Try adding fresh mint, cilantro, or basil for extra flavor.
- Fresh fruits like peaches, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, mango, and cucumbers are all great flavor add-ins. Be sure to muddle a few slices of fruit first, then add them to the shaker.
Print the Recipe Card
This skinny, spicy margarita is refreshing and sweet with a kick. I hope you love it! Feel free to print the recipe instructions below and enjoy.
Skinny Jalapeno Margarita Recipe
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- ½ cup crushed ice
- 4 ounces silver tequila
- ½ cup lime juice about 4 limes + more for garnish
- ¼ cup orange juice 1 orange
- ½ jalapeno pepper de-seeded and sliced into thin rings + more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons honey more or less depending on your preference
- Tajin for garnish
- Sprinkle Tajin into a shallow plate, making sure it’s wide enough to fit the diameter of your margarita glass.
- Take a lime wedge and rub the rim of each glass.
- Dip the rim of the glass into the Tajin, moving in a circular motion to stick the Tajin to the rim. Pour crushed ice into each glass and set aside until ready to serve.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ½ cup crushed ice, tequila, lime juice, orange juice, jalapeno slices, and honey.
- Close the shaker and shake vigorously for 30-60 seconds.
- Strain the margarita into each glass. Garnish with limes, orange slices, and jalapeno slices. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.