Chocolate Oreos Cupcakes – 2 ways!
on Sep 21, 2021, Updated Feb 09, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here’s a fun little treat to share with a friend! These Chocolate Oreos cupcakes look adorable when decorated for Halloween, but the truth is you can make them year round!
The best part is you can alter this recipe to be Vegan because it’s super versatile. Either way, they will be delicious!
Who doesn’t love a classic cookies and cream dessert?
Cupcake Ingredients/Shopping List
You probably have most of these simple ingredients in your pantry already. Unless you are like me and Oreos never last more than a day or two.
You can make these cupcakes using the following ingredients:
- Oreo cookies – these will provide that delicious chocolate flavor. Save a few extra to use as toppings!
- All-purpose flour – A mainstay in every good cupcake recipe
- Sugar – Granulated sugar is best for the cupcakes.
- Baking powder
- Milk – Feel free to use soy milk or your favorite plant-based option to make this recipe vegan.
- Pure vanilla extract – definitely skip the imitation stuff!
- Olive oil
- Powdered sugar – for the frosting, this will be good!
- Butter – many people use unsalted butter for baking, but I actually like salted better. Be sure to use margarine for the vegan option.
How to Make the Cupcakes
These cupcakes are quick to pull together and you’ll be enjoying your tasty treat in no time!
To start, preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Take about 6 cookies and crush them inside a plastic zipper bag or with a food processor.
Gather the dry ingredients for the cupcakes including the crushed cookies and mix them all together.
Add the wet cupcake ingredients to the dry mix and stir until well combined.
Then pour into your cupcake pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Cool cupcakes completely on a cooling rack before decorating with icing.
Oreo Buttercream Frosting
To make the frosting, use the other 6 cookies and add them to the butter and powdered sugar.
Process together until the mixture thickens and the cookies are well-mixed. (You can crush them before adding to the butter mixture if you want.)
Once the frosting is done, transfer it to a piping bag and place in the fridge or freezer for at least 15 minutes to thicken and cool.
Using the piping bag, frost each cupcake and decorate with cookie pieces or holiday toppers.
Print the Recipe
Add these cupcakes to your Halloween party table or eat them whenever you want. I won’t judge!
Chocolate Oreos Cupcakes
- 6 Oreo cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, 250 g
- 3/4 cup sugar, 150 g
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder, 7 g
- 1 cup milk, 250 ml – use soy milk for Vegan option
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp olive oil, 30 g
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 150 g
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, 5 g
- 2/3 cup butter, use cup margarine for Vegan
- 6 Oreo cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180ºC)
- Crush the Oreo cookies (a food processor comes in handy) and mix with the rest of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients until combined.
- Add the wet mixture into the large bowl and start mixing with the whisk mixer.
- Carefully pour the dough about half full into your silicone mold or cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- Mix the butter (or margarine), powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Crush the other 6 Oreo cookies until powdery and add into the previous mixture.
- Mix well again and spoon into a piping bag.
- Chill the pastry bag for 15 minutes in the fridge. You can put it in the freezer as well for less time.
- Frost cupcakes and top with more Oreo cookie pieces or Halloween decorations if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.