Bunnies and Chicks! How to Decorate Donuts for Easter
on Mar 23, 2021, Updated Apr 11, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Create your own bunny and chick Easter donuts with these cute ideas. What’s better than a fresh donut for Easter brunch?
A cute one!
These bunnies and chicks will be the hit of your celebration and they are super easy to create.
Start by making our simple baked donut recipe and then use the instructions below to decorate!
Easter Bunny Donut Ingredients
To make your bunny donuts you will need a few simple supplies.
I’ve linked to a few of the ones you may not find easily in baking aisle at the grocery store.
Frosting and Decorations for Bunnies
- 1 can vanilla frosting – canned frosting works best
- White Food Coloring, optional
- Mini Marshmallows
- Mini Chocolate Chips for eyes
- Pink Heart Sprinkle for nose
- White and Pink Nonpareil Sprinkles
How to Decorate Donuts for Easter
Once your baked donuts have cooled, you will want to frost them and let them set. Then add the decorations below.
Add about ½ of the can of frosting to a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds. Add white food coloring for a more vibrant frosting and mix well. The consistency needs to be runny but not too runny or hot.
Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet to catch the drips and dip donuts, one by one.
Turn doughnut upside down and dip top into the melted frosting and gently shake off excess.
Turn right side up and shake side-to-side to level frosting. Then, place on wire rack until firm.
Decorations for Bunnies
To decorate your adorable bunny donuts, follow these steps!
- Add white nonpareil sprinkles to a small bowl
- Add a mini marshmallow to a toothpick (for dipping) and dip into melted white frosting and immediately dip into sprinkles and set to dry
- Add pink nonpareil sprinkles to a small bowl
- Cut 1 mini marshmallow in half diagonally and immediately dip cut part into the sprinkles and set to dry
- For the face – turn mini chocolate chip upside down and insert into doughnut for eyes
- Add a very small amount of frosting to the heart sprinkle and add to doughnut for nose
- Dip bottom of “tail” into frosting and add to doughnut
- Dip bottom of ears into frosting and add to doughnut
- Set aside to dry
Easter Chick Donut Ingredients
The frosting and decorations for chicks is similar to the bunnies only you will be using food coloring and icing rather than sprinkles.
You will need:
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- Mini Chocolate Chips for eyes
- Yellow and Orange Food Coloring
- Disposable Decorator Bag
Frosting and Decorations for Chicks
Use the same dipping process as for bunnies, but coloring the frosting yellow first.
Place on a wire rack and let the frosting set.
To decorate, add a small amount of white frosting into 3 bowls and color one with dark orange (for beak and feathers), then create 2 more shades of orange for feathers.
For the face, turn mini chocolate chip upside down and insert into doughnut for eyes and pipe on beak using dark orange frosting.
Pipe on feathers and set aside to dry.
These donuts are cute enough to decorate with! Add some naturally dyed eggs to the table and you’re ready for Easter!