White chocolate puppy chow (or muddy buddies) is a quick and easy recipe for a tasty Valentine’s Day treat without a lot of work. This fun party mix combines Chex cereal with peanut butter, white chocolate and powdered sugar and some candy coated chocolate just for fun!
Kids love it and let’s be serious, adults love it too!
Make this sweet and savory snack for a Valentine’s Day party, game day or movie nights. It’s a great recipe for just about any holiday season so you really can’t go wrong.
With a name like puppy chow, I should mention this is not a snack for dogs so humans only please! Puppy chow got its name because of the way it looks, not who gets to eat it. Muddy buddies is also acceptable but I just call it delicious.
This mix would look great on a table with our Valentine’s Day Gnome Cookies and a few Conversation heart Rice Krispy Treats!
Puppy Chow Ingredients/Shopping List
To make this recipe grab these simple ingredients from the store or your pantry. Once you have everything you need, you’ll be snacking in no time.
What to Buy:
- Rice Chex cereal
- White chocolate chips
- Creamy peanut butter
- Pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Red and white M&Ms (or Valentine‘s Day mix)
Prepare Puppy Chow Chex Mix
Y’all know I love a no bake recipe and this one is no different. You can use the stove or microwave to prepare the chocolate mixture. It’s up to you!
To get started, take the Chex cereal and pour into a large bowl. Set aside while you prepare the melted chocolate.
Stove top Method
In a saucepan, combine peanut butter, white chocolate chips, and butter.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly just until the white chocolate chips have melted and the mixture is smooth. Be sure not to overcook the mixture.
In a microwave-safe bowl, add peanut butter, white chocolate chips, and butter.
Heat in 30 second increments, stirring between each increment until the white chocolate chips have melted and the mixture is smooth. Again, you want to be sure not to overcook the mixture so the chocolate doesn’t bind.
Once the chocolate and peanut butter is melted, stir in the vanilla extract.
Pour peanut butter mixture over the Chex cereal and gently stir with a rubber spatula to coat.
Tip: I have found that using my hands really speeds the process along. My trick is to spray clean hands with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
To coat the Chex mixture, add half the powdered sugar to a gallon bag with about half the cereal mixture.
Close tightly and shake to coat the cereal with powdered sugar.
Repeat with the rest of the powdered sugar and another baggie or empty and reuse the first one.
Spread the coated cereal pieces in a single layer on a parchment paper (or wax paper) lined cookie sheet or counter and allow to dry at room temperature. I have this large baking sheet and it’s my favorite.
Pour the cereal mixture into a large bowl and add the M&M’s. Gently stir to combine.
White chocolate puppy chow is just the beginning. You can make this puppy chow Chex mix recipe white chocolate stylet or in so many different ways, you will never get tired of it.
You can even bag them up and give them along with a Wordle Valentine!
Here are a few variation ideas:
- Try different flavors of cereal like cinnamon Chex or Blueberry Chex.
- Melt dark chocolate or milk chocolate instead of white
- Use butterscotch chips
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes
- Use different colored candies for various holidays
- Add mini marshmallows
Print the Recipe
This puppy chow Chex mix recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and salty and so versatile. Before you know it, you’ll be making big batches for holiday parties, birthday parties, and everything in between.
To store this Chex mix puppy chow, use an airtight container and enjoy for about a week. Or it can be frozen for 1-2 months.
Puppy Chow with White Chocolate
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 8 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup red and white M&Ms
- Pour Chex cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine peanut butter, white chocolate chips, and butter.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly just until the white chocolate chips have melted and the mixture is smooth. Be sure not to overcook.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pure vanilla extract.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over the Chex cereal and gently stir to coat.
- Add half powdered sugar to a gallon size zipper bag.
- Pour half the cereal mixture into the baggie. Close tightly and shake to coat the cereal with powdered sugar.
- Repeat with the rest of the powdered sugar and another baggie or empty and reuse the first one.
- Spread the coated cereal in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet or counter and allow to dry.
- Place the cereal mixture back into the bowl and add the M&M’s. Gently stir to combine.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.