Tuna Patty Recipe – Healthy and Quick
on Mar 01, 2022, Updated Feb 09, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Try this tuna patty recipe for a healthy and delicious dinner in under 30 minutes! Made with flaky canned tuna, tangy Greek yogurt, and a subtle kick from the jalapenos, these golden-brown fried tuna burgers are served with a slice of lemon and spicy sriracha aioli for a healthier option than beef.
If you are looking for a simple, budget-friendly, and delicious tuna recipe, this will be one that you’ll want to keep on hand!
Yes, tuna casserole is a great option, but sometimes you need a little something different.
Sometimes, simple, honest, and tasty meals are the best. And being a busy mom, there are times when I need a quick, light, and easy-to-whip-up dinner that is on the table in under 30 minutes. And this tuna cake recipe is just that.
Made with canned tuna and simple ingredients, these cakes are full of texture, packed with flavor, and fried to crispy perfection. Serve with a simple garden salad for a light lunch or on a bun for a more substantial meal.
So the next time you are looking for a simple, healthy meal, whip up a batch – or two – of these incredibly easy tuna cakes for an affordable and tasty dinner the whole family will enjoy.
Table of Contents
Ingredient Shopping List
To make these healthy low carb tuna cake patties with spicy sriracha aioli, you’ll need to have the following on hand:
- Canned solid white albacore tuna
- Large eggs
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Lemon juice
- Plain breadcrumbs
- Jalapeno peppers
- Extra virgin olive oil
How To Make Tuna Cakes
This easy recipe is great for a quick dinner using pantry staples. Especially on the nights you forget to thaw your meat! Or is that just me?
To begin, drain the excess liquid from the cans of tuna and add flaked tuna to a large bowl.
Next, dice the onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. Add to bowl with tuna and mix to combine.
Then add in egg, Greek yogurt, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Using a fork, mix until fully combined.
Note: You could use mayonnaise instead of Greek yogurt, but I love the healthier yogurt option and its tangy flavor!
Once your tuna mixture is combined, use a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop and shape into 6-8 patties.
Then, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and fry patties until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
Transfer to a plate and allow the burgers to rest for a couple minutes.
While tuna cakes cool for a minute, whip up the spicy sriracha aioli.
Simple Sriracha Aioli
It’s so easy to make this simple spicy sriracha aioli and boy do we love sriracha!
All you need is a lemon, Greek yogurt and sriracha to pull this together.
In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, sriracha, and lemon and mix well.
Enjoy as a dip or top tuna cakes along with lemon wedges and serve on a bed of lettuce or with whole wheat buns for a substantial and filling meal!
Be sure to refrigerate any leftover sauce in an air tight container.
How To Store Leftovers
If you have any leftover tuna cakes, they can also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
When ready to enjoy, feel free to eat cold straight out of the fridge. Or warm in the microwave for 30-second intervals until heated through.
Can Tuna Cakes Be Frozen?
Yes! Prepare patties according to directions and once formed, individually wrap in plastic wrap.
Place wrapped cakes into a freezer-safe bag and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. This would be a great meal prep option.
When ready to enjoy, defrost overnight in the fridge, and then proceed with the cooking instructions listed on the recipe card.
Can I Make These Gluten-Free?
Absolutely! Feel free to swap out the plain breadcrumbs for your favorite gluten-free breadcrumb brand or use almond flour.
You could also completely leave out the breadcrumbs, just be sure that the tuna is completely drained otherwise they will fall apart.
Can I Make These Tuna Cakes in An Air Fryer?
It’s easy to make these tuna patties in the air fryer. First, prepare patties according to recipe and place approximately four cakes, depending on the size of your air fryer basket, into the basket.
Be sure to not overcrowd as you’ll want enough room to easily flip.
Set air fryer to 375°F and cook for 12 minutes, flipping at 6-minute mark. Once done, remove and set aside.
Continue this process until all tuna cakes have been cooked. Serve immediately with a side of sriracha aioli.
Tips and Tricks
- For added richness, cook the patties in a mixture of avocado oil and a little butter.
- Add a touch of heat to the tuna cakes with a pinch of cayenne pepper or a splash of tabasco sauce
- For extra flavor, add in a tablespoon or two of Dijon mustard or garlic powder
- Be sure to completely drain the canned tuna, otherwise, your patties will be too wet and will fall apart
- Fully flake the tuna with a fork before mixing, to ensure patties stay intact
- Cooking tuna cakes can cause grease to splatter, use a grease screen to cut down on the splatter
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. An overcrowded pan will cause the cakes to take longer to cook and will be more difficult to flip
- Serve tuna cakes with sriracha aioli and top with green onions
- Or top with your favorite cheese to create tuna melts
What to serve with Tuna Patties
This healthy burger is so versatile you can serve it on a bun, with a salad, or with a side dish like vegetables.
Mashed sweet potatoes are another great option.
When you need an easy and affordable meal, make these delicious, healthy tuna patties for one filling and tasty dish!
Tuna Cakes – Healthy
- 24 oz Solid White Albacore Tuna, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⁄4 c plain greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ⁄3 c plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 jalapeño peppers, chopped (remove seeds or keep for extra heat)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ⁄2 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ⁄2 c plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- juice of 1⁄2 a lemon
For the Cakes
- Dice onions, jalapeño, and cilantro
- Drain tuna and add to a large bowl with egg, cilantro, onion, greek yogurt, breadcrumbs, jalapeño, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Using a fork, mix well until fully combined.
- Shape tuna mixture into 6-8 patties, about 1/3 cup of mixture per patty.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry patties about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve on a bun or with sriracha aioli if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine 1⁄2 cup plain greek yogurt, 2 tbsp sriracha, and juice of 1⁄2 a lemon.
- Mix well and serve with tuna cakes or french fried.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.