Broccoli Slaw and Homemade Dressing Recipe
on May 18, 2022, Updated Apr 03, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Broccoli Slaw is a delicious, crunchy salad and can be made easily with packaged broccoli slaw, crunchy ramen noodles, almonds, and a homemade Asian broccoli slaw dressing recipe.
It’s the perfect easy side dish to share at a summer barbecue or potluck dinner.
This homemade tangy dressing is ready in just 10 minutes. Make ahead and store to use on any kind of salad, but it’s especially good on broccoli slaw.
This summer salad is a great alternative to potato salad and so satisfying!
Broccoli Slaw and Dressing Ingredients
I love an easy recipe with fresh ingredients. It’s like a match made in heaven!
Fresh broccoli slaw mix, crunchy ramen noodles and a delicious dressing create a satisfying meal or side dish. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and crunchy vegetables.
Here’s what you need to get from the grocery store to make the dressing and salad. See the recipe card below for exact amounts.
- Ramen noodles – any flavor, you don’t need the flavor packet
- Broccoli slaw bag (ready-to-eat)
- Almonds – sliced or slivered
- Green onions
- Olive oil – or avocado
- Soy sauce – low sodium is recommended
- Toasted sesame oil – toasted sesame oil adds a beautiful nuttiness that regular sesame oil doesn’t have
- Rice vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Ginger powder or freshly grated ginger – fresh ginger is my first choice whenever possible
How to Make Broccoli Slaw Dressing
This homemade dressing is a combination of sweet, savory and tangy all at the same time! And it’s so easy to make.
If you are using fresh ginger, go ahead and grate it with a vegetable peeler or microplane grater. The rest of the ingredients just need to be measured out.
Add the olive oil, sugar, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, garlic powder, ginger powder (or freshly grated ginger), and black pepper to a blender or food processor.
Blend for 10 seconds. Pour into a jar or bottle or use right away.
You can add your dressing straight to the prepared broccoli slaw and eat or make it a salad with a few extra ingredients.
Prepare Broccoli Slaw Salad Recipe
I like to use bagged salad or slaw whenever I can, but if you want to make your own broccoli slaw, here’s an easy broccoli slaw recipe.
Simply remove broccoli florets from the stems and shred broccoli stems and red cabbage using a box grater. Then mix together with some parsley to taste.
Now, heat oven to 350°F. Break the ramen into small chunks and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 5 minutes.
Stir sliced almonds in with the noodles and bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until toasted.
Then, in a large bowl combine the broccoli slaw, cilantro and green onions.
Toss the salad with as much of the dressing as you would like and enjoy!
Recipe Variations and Tips
Summer salads are so good. Especially when they are fresh and have that satisfying crunch. Here are a few tips to make your broccoli slaw the best this year.
- Toasting the ramen noodles and sliced almonds gives the slaw a richer flavor.
- For best results, refrigerate the salad for 30 minutes before serving.
- Keep noodles and crunchy almonds separate until ready to serve, Then remove the salad from the refrigerator and add them.
- You can add sunflower seeds or other nuts if you like.
- Start with 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil and taste, add another teaspoon if you like it a little nuttier.
- Additional toppings include diced red onion, golden raisins, or dried cranberries.
- Add grilled chicken or tuna cakes to make it a meal.
Other Uses for Broccoli Slaw Dressing
Of course my favorite way to use broccoli slaw dressing is on top of a healthy broccoli slaw recipe. But there are other ways to enjoy it. Here are a few ideas.
- As dressing on a cold pasta salad
- Marinade for chicken or shrimp
- Over roasted
- As a dip for lettuce wraps
How to Store Broccoli Slaw Dressing
If you know you won’t eat it right away, I recommend keeping the broccoli slaw dressing separate from the other ingredients.
Refrigerate in an airtight container and shake well before using. Enjoy the dressing for up to 5 days. Bagged broccoli slaw should be used by the best by date on the bag.
Print the Recipe Card
Broccoli Slaw Salad with Homemade Dressing
Broccoli Slaw Dressing:
- 2/3 cup olive oil , or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, add more to taste
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Broccoli Slaw Salad:
- 6 ounces Ramen noodles, 2 packages
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 16 ounce broccoli slaw, bagged
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
Broccoli Slaw Dressing Instructions:
- Grate fresh ginger and measure out ingredients.
- Pour all the ingredients for the homemade dressing in a blender.
- Blend for 10 seconds and pour into a jar or bottle.
Easy Broccoli Slaw Salad:
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Break the ramen cubes into small chunks and place on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, stir in the sliced almonds and bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until toasted.
- In a large bowl combine the broccoli slaw, cilantro and green onions.
- Toss the salad with as much of the dressing as you would like and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.