Quick and Easy Cherry Cake Recipe
on Jun 24, 2022, Updated Apr 03, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy cherry cake recipe uses a boxed cake mix with cherry pie filling to create the perfect blend of sweet and tart flavors for a delicious summer cake.
If you love the flavor of cherry chip cake, you will love this simple and sweet dessert.
Because we are using the shortcut of easy to find canned and dry ingredients, this treat comes together in no time.
Make this cherry cake to share or to enjoy at home whenever you need a little treat full of delicious cherry flavor.
Cherry Cake Ingredients
Here are the ingredients to make this simple recipe. These 6 items can be easily found in your local grocery store.
- White Cake Mix
- Cherry Pie Filling
- Almond Extract (or pure vanilla extract, if desired)
- Cool Whip
- Maraschino Cherries (or use fresh cherries if preferred)
How to make Cherry Cake with Pie Filling
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9″x13″ baking dish. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, pour in the cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs, and almond extract.
Then, using an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat for 2 minutes on low speed until the cake mixture is well combined and fluffy.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
Use a rubber spatula to remove the thick batter from the sides of the bowl.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for 28-32 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
When done, set the baking dish on a wire rack and let the cake cool completely to room temperature before frosting.
Then, spread the Cool Whip on top of the cake in an even layer while the sheet cake is still in the pan.
Position each maraschino cherry evenly in a grid pattern on top of the cake to suggest 12 servings.
Slice your perfectly pink cake and enjoy!
Want to take your cherry cake to the next level? Here are some ideas to keep in your recipe box.
- Add chocolate chips to make it a chocolate cherry cake.
- Take some additional chopped maraschino cherries and add them to your cake batter.
- Use circular baking pans to make this a layer cake
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Frost with cream cheese icing instead of whipped topping.
- Use chocolate cake mix instead of white for a black forest cherry cake.
What’s the best way to cut cherry sheet cake?
Nice clean lines makes this cake beautiful to look at and easy to share. Here are a few tips to help with slicing your cake.
The colder the better: Cake is much easier to slice when chilled. If it’s still warm in the middle, it won’t cut as nicely.
Lightly coat the knife with oil: Pour a small amount of oil onto a paper towel and run the towel over the blade of a large chef’s knife before cutting. This will help keep the bars from sticking to the sides of the metal knife.
Use a plastic knife: If you don’t want to oil your knife, you can use a plastic knife instead.
How to store
If you are using a pan with a lid, simply place the lid on and refrigerate leftover cake.
Or transfer leftovers to an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you liked this moist cake recipe, you’ll love these other desserts!
Print the Recipe
It’s that time of the year when nothing hits quite like a good cake. Print or save this delicious cake recipe for the next time you need to make a quick and easy dessert.
Easy Cherry Cake Recipe
- 1 pkg White Cake Mix
- 15 oz Cherry Pie Filling
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract, can use vanilla, if desired
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- 12 Maraschino Cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9″x13″ casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until well-combined and fluffy.
- Fold the cake batter into the prepared pan and smooth down with the back of a spoon. Bake for 28-32 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, spread the Cool Whip overtop in an even layer.
- Position the maraschino cherries evenly in a grid pattern on top of the cake to suggest the 12 servings.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.