The Best Black Forest Brownies
on Feb 10, 2022, Updated Apr 04, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These semi-homemade Black Forest Brownies are a chocolate lovers dream. Rich fudge brownies baked in muffin cups are topped with fresh homemade chocolate mousse and a sweet cherry pie filling.
This is an incredibly easy-to-make dessert that is both bite-sized and delicious!
In my house, we love brownies! There is a consensus that brownies may be one of the best desserts ever to be developed.
Fudgy in the middle with slightly crisp yet chewy edges; every bite is pure heaven. And while we love the good ol’ fashioned classic, there’s something a little special about them in bite-sized form.
Black Forest Brownie cups are a fun twist on the traditional fudgy brownies. Just take your favorite store-bought brownie box-mix and turn the finished product into an elegant yet oh-so-easy dessert that will make any celebration a bit more special.
Make this adorable treat that is tasty (and beautiful) enough to serve at holiday family get-togethers, sophisticated enough for a special occasion or sweet enough to finish off an at-home date night for two! Did someone say Valentine’s Day?
Black Forest Brownie Cups Ingredients
This semi-homemade recipe requires your favorite store-bought brownie mix and a few other simple easy-to-find ingredients to make these delicious handheld treats!
Next time you head to the grocery store, you’ll need to grab these basic items.
- Brownie mix
- Vegetable oil
- Large eggs
- Cherry pie filling
- Whipped cream
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Pure vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
- Granulated sugar
How To Make Black Forest Brownies
First, generously coat cupcake tins with nonstick cooking spray and lightly coat with flour. Feel free to use cupcake liners instead if desired. Set aside.
Preheat oven according to directions on brownie mix. Then, in a large mixing bowl, prepare brownie mix according to instructions located on the box.
Spoon brownie batter into the prepared muffin cups, about ¾ full and bake according to directions.
While brownies are baking, make chocolate mousse by melting chocolate chips using a double boiler method. In a medium saucepan, boil water. Place a small saucepan over the boiling water and melt chocolate chips while stirring.
In a separate medium bowl, vigorously beat eggs and temper in chocolate. This means to add a little bit of warm chocolate into the egg mixture so the eggs don’t cook.
Once tempered, add yolks to the rest of the melted chocolate and mix well. Continue to cook over medium heat until thick. Add in a teaspoon vanilla extract, stir and remove from heat. Allow chocolate mixture to completely cool.
Remove brownies from the oven and immediately press the bottom of a small measuring cup into the center of each cup. Then, release brownie cups from the pan and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
To make the whipped cream, place whipping cream and sugar the bowl of a stand mixer or electric hand mixer and beat on high until still peaks form.
Gently fold in cooled chocolate to whipped cream until mixed to create a mousse.
Evenly spoon into the cooled brownie cups.
Place the mousse-filled brownie cups on a tray and place them in the fridge to set for 2 hours.
Once the mousse has set, top brownies with a spoonful of cherry pie filling and a dollop of whipped cream and enjoy!
How To Store Leftovers
Store any leftover in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I Make These Completely From Scratch?
Of course! This semi-homemade recipe can be made 100% homemade by using your favorite from scratch brownie and whipped cream recipes.
Also, feel free to make your own cherry pie filling or top with maraschino cherry or even pitted fresh cherries (if in season!).
Can I Make Black Forest Brownies In A Square Pan?
You can certainly bake in an 8″ or 9″ square baking pan. First, prepare brownie mix according to package directions.
When brownies are cooled, top with a layer of chocolate mousse, then cherries, and finish with whip cream.
Cut into bars and serve.
Tip and Tricks
Try these variations and see which version you like best!
- Add a little extra touch with chocolate shavings on the top
- Feel free to use cherry pie filling, maraschino cherries, or pitted fresh cherries
- To ramp up the cherry flavor, add a splash of cherry liqueur or cherry extract to the homemade chocolate mousse
- To make this recipe even simpler, feel free to use store-bought pre-made mini brownie cups and or prepared whipped topping
- Serve with a scoop of this homemade cherry vanilla ice cream
Print the Recipe
Black forest cherry brownies are the perfect dessert to spoil your family with on Valentine’s Day or any special day during the year. I hope you love them!
Black Forest Brownies Cups
- 1 Box Brownie Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
For Chocolate Mousse
- ¾ cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 3 Tbsp water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 2/3 Cup whipped cream
- Prepare a cupcake tin by coating generously with cooking spray. Then sprinkle with flour. If you have cupcake liners, use those instead of greasing a metal pan.
- Preheat oven to the temperature recommended on the box of your brownie mix.
- In a large mixing bowl prepare the brownie mix according to the instructions on the box.
- Spoon prepared brownie batter into the prepared muffin tin (approx. ¾ of the way full) and bake for the recommended time.
- While the brownies are baking prepare your chocolate mousse by melting the chocolate chips and water over medium-low heat in a medium pan using the double-boiler method.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and then add a small amount of melted chocolate to the eggs and mix until well combined (this is just to ensure you don’t scramble your eggs).
- Add the yolks back into the rest of the melted chocolate and mix.
- Continue to cook over medium-low heat until chocolate has thickened (approximately 2-3 minutes). Be careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Add in vanilla extract, stir, and then remove from heat. Let chocolate cool completely.
- As soon as brownies are done baking in the oven, remove and immediately press the bottom of a small measuring cup (a round coffee scoop works well) into the center of each one.
- Remove, brownie cups from pan and let cool on a cooling rack.
- In in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the whipping cream with the sugar on a high speed until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in the cooled chocolate to the whipped cream you just prepared.
- Once chocolate is completely mixed into the whipped cream, spoon evenly into the cooled brownie cups.
- Place the mousse filled brownie cups on a tray in the fridge and allow to set for 2 hours.
- Once the mousse has set, top with a spoonful of cherry pie filling and then with a dollop of whipped cream.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.