Check out this easy cool whip candy recipe for a delicious no bake candy. This sweet treat is made with Cool Whip topping, chocolate, peppermint candies and extract, and a little shortening or coconut oil.
You can also make Cool Whip candy without mint for a bite-size chocolate dessert. This is an easy recipe to make for you and your family during the holidays or any time you want a little something sweet.
This chocolate mixture has a fluffy center and sweet chocolate coating. Homemade candy is a hit and without the peppermint it is like a 3 Musketeers bar.
Want more no bake desserts? Try these peanut butter rice krispie balls or these brownie balls, a great way to use pre-made brownies that you transform into an easy dessert.
This Cool Whip Candy Is…
- Easy and delicious to make
- No bake dessert
- Favorite candy bar transformed into bite size candy
- Tasty treat for kids and adults
- Freezer friendly
You just need a few simple ingredients and a little time to make these chocolates.
Here’s what to buy:
- Milk chocolate chips: The main ingredient of this recipe, milk chocolate chips are used to provide the rich, creamy base of the fudge. The divided amount is used in different steps of the recipe, such as melting the chocolate and later mixing it with the other ingredients.
- Cool Whip topping: Cool Whip is a brand of whipped topping made with vegetable oil and other ingredients. It’s used in this recipe to provide a light and fluffy texture to the fudge, and to balance the richness of the chocolate.
- Peppermint extract: Peppermint extract is added to give the fudge a refreshing, minty flavor that complements the sweetness of the chocolate. A little goes a long way, so just a teaspoon is needed to achieve the desired taste.
- Vegetable shortening: Vegetable shortening is used to help make the fudge smoother and creamier. It also helps to prevent the fudge from sticking to the pan when it’s chilled.
- Peppermint candy, crushed: Crushed peppermint candy canes are used to add a crunchy texture and extra burst of peppermint flavor to the fudge. It’s also used to decorate the top of the fudge for a festive touch.
How to Make it
Detailed directions and measurements are featured at the bottom of the post in the recipe card. Below is a quick visual walk through of the steps.
First, place 3 1/2 cups of milk chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave the bowl in 30-second increments, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is completely melted.
Add 8 ounces of Cool Whip and 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract to the bowl.
Use a hand mixer to beat the ingredients together until they form a smooth mixture.
Then, line an 8×8 inch baking pan with plastic wrap, leaving enough overhang on the sides to easily lift the fudge out later. Pour the mixture into the pan, using a spatula to spread it evenly.
Cover the pan with another layer of plastic wrap and place it in the freezer to chill for at least 30 minutes.
Once chilled, use the plastic wrap overhang to lift the fudge out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Cut the fudge into one-inch squares using a sharp knife.
Line a tray or baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer the fudge pieces to the tray. Place the tray in the freezer to chill for at least 30 minutes.
When ready to decorate, melt the remaining chocolate chips with the shortening in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each interval, until it’s fully melted.
Use a fork to hold each fudge piece and spoon melted chocolate over the top until fully coated.
Tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to remove excess chocolate, then transfer the coated fudge to a piece of parchment paper.
Immediately top with crushed peppermint candy if desired.
Place the tray in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to cool and set completely before serving.
Enjoy your delicious and festive chocolate peppermint fudge!
Variations to Recipe
Here are a few ways to change up this delicious recipe to change up the flavor. These are sweet tooth approved.
- Use white chocolate, milk chocolate, or melted dark chocolate if you want. Or you can use colored candy melts or almond bark to change up the colors.
- Leave out the peppermint extract and peppermint candies to make this more like your favorite candy bar flavor.
- Add in some raspberry extract or orange extract instead of peppermint.
- Top with colorful sprinkles to decorate the candy.
Tips For Success
- Make sure to cut into bite-size pieces so you have bite-size treats.
- Line your 8×8 pan with parchment paper-lined baking sheet to prevent the treats from sticking to the pan.
- You can melt chocolate chips in the microwave or in a pan on the stove in a double boiler.
- An electric mixer is best as it is going to create that perfect whipped texture for the filling.
- Feel free to use a 9×13 pan to double the recipe instead of a square baking dish.
Refrigerate the candy in an airtight container or sealed bag. Place candy in the fridge for up to a week. This is going to keep the whipped cream bites fresh the longest.
More good news is you can also freeze these candies. Place in a freezer friendly container and freeze for up to 3 months. Then thaw in the fridge the night before you plan to eat.
What is cool whip candy?
Cool Whip candy is a DIY Three Musketeer candy bar dessert. I added mint to my recipe for a switch of flavor. Now, you have a creamy filling that is coated in chocolate and is a bite size candy.
Can you use real whipped cream instead of Cool Whip?
You need to use Cool Whip for this dessert to be made properly. Real whipped cream will not get the right texture for the base of the treats. So skip the real thing and reach for a tub.
Print the Recipe
Peppermint Cool Whip Candy
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 6 cups milk chocolate chips divided
- 8 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 Peppermint candy canes crushed
- Place 3 1/2 cups of the milk chocolate chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring between each increment, until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the Cool Whip and peppermint extract to the bowl and beat the ingredients together with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with plastic wrap and spread the mixture in an even layer across the pan.
- Cover the pan with another layer of plastic wrap and place in the freezer to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Pull the mixture from the pan using the plastic wrap and flip it over onto a cutting board. Cut the bars into one-inch squares using a sharp knife.
- Transfer the pieces to a tray or baking sheet lined with parchment paper and chill in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to start decorating, melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until it’s fully melted.
- Working in batches, place a piece of candy on a fork and spoon the melted chocolate over the top until it’s fully coated. Lightly tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to remove excess chocolate, then transfer the coated candy to a piece of parchment paper. Immediately top with crushed peppermint.
- Transfer the chocolate covered candy to the refrigerator and allow the chocolate to cool and set completely before serving.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.