Easy Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
on Feb 12, 2021, Updated Apr 12, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you’re craving corned beef and cabbage, this slow cooker recipe couldn’t get easier! Made with fresh veggies and slow cooked all day, this one is a keeper.
I am all about easy weeknight meals so whether I’m pretending to be Irish or not, corned beef and cabbage is perfect for any meat and potatoes lover.
And if you have leftovers? Even better. Use them to make leftover corned beef hash and eggs for breakfast the next day!
Is Corned Beef and Cabbage Irish?
Actually, this is not a traditionally Irish dish! Not officially anyway.
As I understand it, the traditional meal you are more likely to find in Ireland is Bacon and Cabbage as cows were not the main source of meat historically.
When the Irish came to America, corned beef was easier to come by, resulting in this Irish-American dish that actually has even more roots in Jewish history.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Shopping List
What I love about this meal is the abundance of fresh ingredients. There is plenty of salt in the meat and seasonings so really you need little else.
Ingredients List for this Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe :
- Corned Beef Brisket (with spice packet)
- Baby carrots
- Red potatoes
- Apple cider vinegar
Easy Corned Beef and Cabbage Slow Cooker Instructions
I love meals like this because they literally take 5 minutes of work.
Sure there are hours of waiting to eat the meal but who doesn’t love having dinner ready at the end of the day?
I’d much rather put in the work first thing in the morning and let my slow cooker do the rest. And it doesn’t hurt that cooking corned beef is super easy.
Start by layering all the veggies except cabbage on the bottom of your dish.
Lay the meat on top of the veggies and add your liquids and seasoning from the spice packet.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and let the fun begin.
About an hour before it’s done, add the cabbage wedges into the slow cooker and arrange them around the beef brisket. Then replace the lid on the Crock Pot.
This will allow the cabbage to cook but still maintain that delicious texture.
Once your meal is done, all you have to do is slice and serve on a plate with some of that delicious beef broth spooned on top.
After your dinner, don’t forget about dessert like these yummy fudge brownies.
Print the Recipe: Corned Beef and Cabbage
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes, halved
- 4 cups water
- 1 3 to 4 pound corned beef brisket with spice packet
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and cut into large wedges
- Place carrots, onion, and potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Add the water. Salt and pepper as desired.
- Lay corned beef on top of the vegetables.
- Pour the apple cider vinegar over the meat and sprinkle seasonings from packet on top.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 hours.
- With about one hour left, remove the lid and place the cabbage into the slow cooker on the sides of the corned beef.
- Re-cover and continue cooking for another hour or until the cabbage is tender.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.