Peppermint pie, otherwise known as candy cane pie is a delightful winter treat. Made with a creamy marshmallow filling in an Oreo cookie crust, this easy recipe is perfect for the holiday season.
It’s quick to throw together and even better when it’s a little on the frozen side. If you like mint chocolate chip ice cream, this might just be your new favorite dessert this Christmas.
What to Buy
When you’re looking for a holiday alternative to traditional options, make sure this delicious pie is on your dessert table!
To prepare this simple recipe, make sure you have the following ingredients:
- Oreo Cookies (or other chocolate sandwich cookies)
- Cream Cheese
- Marshmallow Creme
- Peppermint Extract
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar (Confectioner’s Sugar)
- Crushed Peppermint candies (Soft peppermints or candy canes are both great)
- Red food coloring (optional)
You will also need access to a food processor, hand mixer, large bowl, pie plate and a rubber spatula.
For this no bake pie, we will start by preparing the chocolate cookie crust. Say that five times fast!
Take your chocolate cookies and add them to a food processor.
Pulse until you have fine crumbs and stir in the salt and melted butter to create a chocolate mixture.
Once you have your Oreo crust, gently press it into a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.
To make the pie filling, add the cream cheese (room temperature will be easier to work with) to a large mixing bowl and beat it using a hand mixer.
Add marshmallow creme and peppermint extract and beat until well combined.
Then, in a separate medium bowl, use the whisk attachment to beat the heavy cream and sugar until very stiff peaks form. It’s ok to use Cool Whip instead if you don’t want to make your own whipped cream.
Combine the whipped cream with the the cream cheese mixture and add food coloring. Be careful not to over mix.
Spoon evenly into the chocolate pie crust and refrigerate overnight.
For the topping, make another batch of whipped cream and sprinkle crushed peppermints or peppermint candy canes, chocolate chip sauce, or more Oreo cookies on top of the pie.
Serve and enjoy!
Print the Recipe
This no-bake peppermint pie recipe makes the perfect holiday dessert and because it’s so simple, you can make and freeze it ahead of time!
Peppermint Pie (Candy Cane Pie)
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
Chocolate Pie Crust
- 25 Oreo Cookies
- 5 TBSP Butter melted
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 12 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 Jar marshmallow creme 7oz
- 1 TBSP Peppermint Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 6 drops Red Food Coloring optional
- 1 Cup Heavy cream
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 TBSP Crushed peppermint candies
- Pulse cookies in food processor, then add salt and butter
- Press cookie mixture into 9” pie pan and set aside
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, then add marshmallow and peppermint extract.
- In a separate bowl use a whisk attachment to beat heavy cream and sugar until very stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold both mixtures together and add food coloring, do not over mix.
- Spoon filling evenly into crust and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 4 hours).
- Whip heavy cream and sugar until soft peaks form and spread on top of the pie.
- Sprinkle on crushed peppermint pieces and serve.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.