How to Make Peppermint Patties
on Nov 08, 2021, Updated Apr 06, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
There’s something so sweetly refreshing about peppermint and chocolate. In this post, I will teach you how to make peppermint patties at home.
It’s a simple recipe that will delight kids and grownups alike this holiday season!
This peppermint patty recipe results in a creamy peppermint center that is coated in rich dark chocolate. They are remarkably easy to make using just a few ingredients.
If you love candy canes, these soft sweets will hit the spot! It may even become one of your favorite Christmas candy recipes.
How to Make Homemade Peppermint Patties
This five ingredient no bake recipe comes together in just 30 minutes plus cooling time. Next time you are shopping, grab the following basic ingredients.
You will need:
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Peppermint extract
- Powdered sugar
- Dark chocolate chips
- Vegetable oil
- (Optional) holiday sprinkles
Be sure you also have a rolling pin, baking sheet, parchment paper, circle cookie cutter, bowl, and an electric mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
Copycat York Peppermint Patties
To start, you’ll create the peppermint filling.
Mix together the condensed milk, peppermint extract, and powdered sugar using a mixer on low speed until a thick dough forms.
Then on a flat work surface, sprinkle a small amount of powdered sugar and lay out your peppermint dough. Roll dough into a ¼ inch thickness.
Using a small cookie cutter (a 1 inch circle works well), cut out your little patties and place on a baking sheet. Repeat until all are cut out.
Transfer to the fridge and allow them to cool for about 45 minutes.
While they are cooling, add chocolate chips and oil to a medium size bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Stir between each interval and and continue until the melted chocolate is smooth.
Once the peppermint candies have cooled, remove them from the fridge.
Then, with a fork, gently remove each patty from the cookie sheet and dip in the chocolate. Place on sheets of parchment paper or wax paper and add sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet.
Chocolate will harden as it cools to room temperature.
Place the dipped peppermint patty candies back in the fridge and allow to set for at least 30 minutes.
To store, place your holiday treats in an airtight container and store them in the fridge or freezer.
Print the Recipe
If you are a fan of York peppermint patties, you will love this easy mint candy recipe. They are the perfect size treats for grabbing on your way through the kitchen.
Homemade Peppermint Patties Recipe
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- Mix together condensed milk, peppermint, and powdered sugar. A thick dough will form.
- On a flat surface, sprinkle a small amount of powdered sugar. Lay out your peppermint dough and roll into a ¼ inch thickness.
- Using a small cookie type cutter (about 1 inch), cut out your peppermint patties. Lay them on a cookie sheet to transfer to the fridge. Repeat until all are cut out. You should have about 45 circles.
- Transfer to refrigerator and allow them to cool for about 45 minutes.
- While they are cooling, microwave chocolate chips and oil in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Stir between each interval and continue until smooth.
- After the peppermint patties have cooled for the 45 minutes, remove them from the fridge.
- Then, using a fork, remove a patty from the cookie sheet and dip in chocolate.
- Place dipped patty on a piece of parchment or wax paper and repeat the process.
- If adding sprinkles, be sure to add while the chocolate covering is still wet. The chocolate will harden as it cools.
- Place dipped candies back in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.