Easy Pico de Gallo
on Apr 27, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Everyone needs a great pico de gallo recipe. Pair with some crunchy tortilla chips or on top of your favorite tacos or nachos. I even love adding it to eggs.
Pico de Gallo is made with just a handful of fresh ingredients and the flavors blend perfectly.
I love fresh veggies in the summer so this will be going into heavy rotation!
This pico de gallo recipe is..
- Great for the summer months
- Easy appetizer or topping
Pico de gallo, also known as salsa fresca or fresh salsa, is a delicious and versatile topping that can be used to add a burst of flavor to a variety of dishes.
Here’s what you need:
- Tomatoes – The base of this delicious salsa. They also add a bit of liquid to the mix.
- White onion – Adds a sweet, mild flavor and crunch.
- Jalapeños – For a spicy kick to the salsa. The level of spiciness can be adjusted by removing or keeping the jalapeño seeds.
- Fresh cilantro – Rounds out the flavor of the pico de gallo and adds freshness.
- Garlic – Adds wonderful flavor and depth to the salsa.
- Lime – Lime juice will help preserve the fresh veggies and also provides a little extra tang.
- Salt and pepper – Use to taste to enhance the natural flavors.
How to Make
This Mexican salsa is made from fresh ingredients and is incredibly easy to make at home.
First, dice all the veggies into small pieces and mince the garlic.
In a medium mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapenos, minced garlic, and lime juice.
Season with salt and pepper and stir the ingredients until well combined.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
When ready to eat, give the pico de gallo a good stir and serve with a side of tortilla chips or with your favorite meals. Enjoy!
What to Eat with Pico de Gallo
- Add a few scoops onto some easy nachos or shrimp tacos
- Enjoy over eggs in the morning
- Stir in with black beans for a meatless meal
- Use as a topping for chili pie or white chicken chili
Tips for Success
If you are not a fan of cilantro you can swap with parsley or leave out the cilantro. It will alter the flavor a bit but will still taste good.
Cut all ingredients into bite-sized chunks so it is easy to eat. If you aim for smaller pieces you ensure you get all the flavors in each bite.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.
This pico de gallo will stay fresh for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. After that time, the tomatoes will soften and the onions will start to become translucent.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe as it can alter the texture of the vegetables.
Print the Recipe
Pico de gallo is made with just a handful of simple ingredients and is quick to make. It’s flavorful, refreshing, and mildly spiced. Enjoy!
Fresh Pico de Gallo
- 4 tomatoes (large), diced
- ½ white onion (medium), diced
- 3 jalapeños , seeded and diced (keep seeds intact if you want it spicy)
- ½ cup cilantro, about 1 bunch, chopped
- 2 garlic , minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapenos, minced garlic, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and mix together the ingredients until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours for the flavors to blend well.
- Serve with a side of tortilla chips or with your favorite meals. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.