Simple Fajita Chicken Stuffed Peppers
on Feb 15, 2023, Updated Mar 31, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Fajita Chicken Stuffed Peppers are a delicious stuffed bell pepper filled with seasoned chicken mixture, peppers, onions, and mozzarella cheese. Drizzle with fresh lime juice and sliced avocado for a low carb and healthy Mexican dinner idea.
This is a healthy stuffed peppers recipe that takes an easy chicken fajita filling and transforms bell peppers into a whole new dish.
Why Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers are a Beloved Dish
- Flavor: Chicken fajita stuffed peppers are packed with flavor from the chicken, peppers, and spices used to make the fajita filling. The dish is also topped with cheese and other ingredients to enhance the taste.
- Health: Peppers are a great source of vitamins and minerals, while chicken provides lean protein. This makes chicken fajita stuffed peppers a healthy and balanced meal.
- Convenience: Chicken fajita stuffed peppers are easy to prepare, and the recipe can be customized to suit individual preferences. They can also be made in advance and reheated for a quick and easy meal.
- Versatility: Chicken fajita stuffed peppers can be made with a variety of ingredients, making it easy to adapt the recipe to suit different tastes and dietary restrictions. For example, the dish can be made with ground turkey or beef instead of chicken, and the peppers can be substituted with other vegetables.
Fresh ingredients make this vibrant dinner both healthy and beautiful.
Here’s what you need:
- Peppers – Bell Peppers, yellow, red, or orange.
- Chicken – Boneless skinless diced chicken. You can also use rotisserie chicken.
- Onions – Yellow onions, thinly sliced.
- Oil – Olive or avocado oil works.
- Cheese – Mozzarella cheese, shredded or pearls.
- Seasonings – I used a blend for a homemade fajita seasoning – chili flakes, cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Garnish – Lime, cilantro, avocado, sour cream to taste.
How to Make it
Full directions on how to make this stuffed peppers recipe is in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. Below is a visual walk through of the steps.
Preheat oven and slice peppers in half, removing seeds. I like to keep the stems in place for added structure when roasting and filling.
Place each yellow or red bell pepper empty side down and bake for 15 minutes to make the peppers softened.
Sautée diced onions until fragrant and translucent.
Chop chicken into bite sized pieces and add to skillet with oil and onion until chicken is fully cooked.
Next add in the fajita seasoning and stir to coat.
Spoon chicken mixture into each pepper and top with the cheese. Then bake as directed.
Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Variations to Stuffed Peppers
This versatile recipe is the gift that keeps on giving. If you’re looking to change things up, try one or more of the following ideas!
- Vegetarian option: Make a vegetarian version by substituting the chicken with tofu or a meat substitute and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Ground meat: Instead of chicken breast, try ground beef, turkey, or pork to make the filling for your stuffed peppers.
- Spice level: Adjust the spice level by adding or reducing the amount of chili powder or using a spicier pepper like jalapeño.
- Cheese: Experiment with different types of cheese, such as Monterey Jack, pepper jack, or queso fresco.
- Salsa: Add a spoonful of your favorite salsa to the filling for extra flavor and moisture.
- Beans: Mix in some black or pinto beans to the filling for added texture and protein.
- Grilled or roasted vegetables: Add grilled or roasted vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or corn to the filling for a delicious and healthy twist.
- Rice: White rice or even cauliflower rice can be added to the filling to add more flavor and create a hearty filling. If you are looking for a healthy option reach for cauliflower rice.
- Different peppers: Try using different types of peppers, such as poblano or Anaheim peppers, instead of bell peppers for a unique flavor.
Tips for Success
- Use fresh ingredients: Use fresh peppers, chicken, and vegetables to ensure the best flavor and texture. Fresh ingredients will also cook more evenly and taste better than frozen or canned ingredients.
- Precook the filling: To ensure that the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, precook the filling before stuffing the peppers. This will also help to reduce the overall cooking time.
- Season the filling well: Use plenty of spices and seasonings in the filling, such as chili powder, cumin, garlic, and onion powder, to give it a bold and flavorful taste.
- Use the right size peppers: Choose peppers that are large enough to hold a good amount of filling but small enough to fit in your baking dish.
- Casserole Dish: Use the right size baking dish so the pepper fit nicely and the peppers are not squished together. Just place pepper halves in the dish and then begin to stuff with the filling.
Do you have to precook peppers before making stuffed peppers?
It is not necessary to precook peppers before making stuffed peppers, as the peppers will cook in the oven while baking. However, some people prefer to parboil or partially cook the peppers beforehand to soften them slightly and make them easier to stuff.
What are the best peppers for stuffed peppers?
The best peppers for stuffed peppers are those that have a sturdy structure, mild flavor, and large enough cavity to hold a good amount of filling. The most common types of peppers used for stuffed peppers are:
Bell peppers red, orange, yellow and even green are very common. Then you can add more spice with poblano peppers if you want. Feel free to use a pepper that you will enjoy.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to five days. You can warm up leftovers in the microwave, over the stovetop in a skillet with a lid or in the oven.
Print the Recipe Card
Fajita Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 yellow bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 pounds of boneless chicken breast, diced
- 3 yellow onions, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, diced or shredded
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 limes, sliced
- 1 tbsp of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Then slice red bell peppers in halves, don’t remove theirs stems, so they keep their shape when baked.
- Place red bell peppers with the empty side down and cook for 15 minutes or until it softens. In the meantime, prepare the filling.
- Chop chicken into small pieces and set it aside. Then dice the onions and set them aside.
- Add a tbsp of olive oil to a large skillet. Once heated, add chopped onion. Stir until the onion is golden and translucent. Next, add chicken and stir until the chicken is cooked.
- Season chicken with the Homemade Fajita Seasoning and remove from heat.
- Turn peppers up, and divide the filling among them—top each pepper with some mozzarella cheese.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until peppers are fork-tender and mozzarella has melted.
- Serve warm with some diced avocado, fresh lime juice, and chopped cilantro on top.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.