A delicious Nutella puff pastry recipe is the perfect weeknight dessert. It’s made with puff pastry sheets, strawberries, chocolate hazelnut spread, a banana filling, and topped with powdered sugar.
This easy dessert can be prepped and baked in advance and ready to eat in under one hour. Get your kids involved in making this tasty dessert and they’ll have a blast!
What is Nutella Puff Pastry?
If you’re a Nutella fan, you’ll love this golden brown puff pastry dessert topped with bananas, fresh strawberries, creamy Nutella, and powdered sugar.
These simple ingredients are turned into a bright and fresh dessert that is excellent to take to pot-luck get-togethers or backyard barbecues.
The best part of this warm puff pastry is that it’s the perfect summer dish that you can clean up in under 10 minutes!
Be sure to use the freshest fruit you can find at the grocery store or farmer’s market.
Since fruit is the star of the dish, making sure it’s fresh and sweet is important. There’s no substitute for fresh fruit.
And if you end up with leftover bananas, turn them into banana bread!
- Puff pastry sheets
- Coconut oil
- Powdered sugar
- Banana, mashed
- Pure vanilla extract
How to make this Nutella Puff Pastry Recipe:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
First, preheat the oven and line a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
Thaw your puff pastry sheets and roll the puff pastry sheet with a rolling pin.
Then, use a pizza cutter to slice the pastry into six pieces.
Trace a border ½ inch from the edge of each slice.
Transfer the pastry dough to the sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake until it’s golden brown.
When the puff pastry is done baking, cool for 10 minutes.
While it’s cooling, mash the banana and mix in the vanilla extract together in a small bowl.
In another bowl, combine the Nutella and coconut oil.
Add the mashed banana into the center of each pastry, followed by the Nutella.
Finally, add the fresh strawberry slices, and sprinkle the powdered sugar over it all.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make the best Nutella puff pastry recipe you’ve ever had.
- Add orange zest to the Nutella mixture.
- The coconut oil helps to soften the Nutella but you can omit it or swap it with another oil. Use Truvia confectioners sugar which is zero calories, or you can use regular powdered sugar.
- Add chocolate chips, slivered almonds, chopped pecans, or instant coffee granules to the dish.
- Swap the strawberries with raspberry jam.
- Top with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Use other nut butters like peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
What shapes can I make with this puff pastry?
This dessert is made with sheets of puff pastry cut into rectangles, but you can make any shape or design you’d like with the dough.
Try making a Nutella puff pastry Braid, a fancy turnover, or roll it up into a log.
It will taste excellent any way you decide to design it.
Other flavors to make with puff pastry
Swap out the Nutella or fruit with other ingredients depending on the season, time of year, holiday, or themed party.
Use blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, figs, kiwi, mangoes, papaya, or mandarin oranges.
For the Nutella use blueberry jam, peach jam, strawberry jam, or your favorite flavor.
What other type of dough can I use?
This recipe uses flaky puff pastry, but you can substitute another dough depending on what you have available or what you can find at the store.
Try using flaky pastry dough like pie dough, phyllo dough, or crescent dough.
Any of these will taste great with Nutella, strawberries, and bananas.
How to store:
Store leftover Nutella puff pastries in separate containers if possible.
The recipe works best if you only prepare as many as you’re going to eat right away. They won’t keep well in the refrigerator once you spread Nutella over the pastry.
Assemble new pastries when you want to eat this dessert again.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have leftover puff pastry dough you can fry it in oil and dip it in the Nutella spread or cream cheese fruit dip.
Nutella twists are easy to make by spreading Nutella on the puff pastry and cutting it into strips. Then, tightly twist the dough and bake.
It’s not a good idea to freeze this puff pastry once it’s cooked, however, you can freeze it before you cook it to have it ready to make for a quick dessert. It doesn’t take long to thaw.
Nutella Puff Pastry Recipe
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 8 oz Nutella
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Powdered sugar
- 1 large banana mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Thaw your puff pastry sheet and leave it out at room temperature for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet to desired shape and flatten it out to about 11×11.
- Slice pastry into 6 equal pieces. Then, use the tip of a sharp knife or pizza cutter to trace a border ½ inch from the edge of the puff pastry sheet. Make sure not to cut all the way through.
- Transfer the pastry sheets to the sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- In a small bowl, mash the banana and mix in the vanilla extract. In another bowl, combine the Nutella and coconut oil.
- When the puff pastry is done baking, cool for 10 minutes. Push the middle down softly to create space for the filling.
- Add the mashed banana into the center of each pastry and then top with Nutella.
- Top with fresh strawberry slices and sprinkle on the powdered sugar.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.