Make this easy asparagus and mushroom recipe using your favorite mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese and puff pastry and watch it disappear!
Cooking with spring vegetables is a lot more fun when you make something as delicious as this asparagus tart with shiitake mushrooms.
We love roasted vegetables so this time I decided to kick them up a notch by adding puff pastry, garlic, and tomatoes to our asparagus and mushrooms.
Holy yum! This was gooooood.
Make it for yourself or bring it to a party. Definitely add it to your list of brunch recipes. It will be gone in seconds.
Asparagus Mushroom Recipe with Puff Pastry
To make this savory treat, all you need are some fresh vegetables, a puff pastry and about an hour.
We used purple asparagus, but you could use green asparagus or even white asparagus for this recipe. The same goes for mushroom varieties.
You may notice a difference in flavor, but I’d argue they would all be delicious.
Fun fact, your purple asparagus will turn green when cooked!
- Fresh Asparagus
- Fresh Mushrooms (shiitake is what I used, you can substitute baby bella or cremini mushrooms if needed)
- Cherry Tomatoes (quartered – I’m obsessed with this tomato slicer)
- Puff Pastry
- Swiss Cheese (or for a stronger flavor try gruyere)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Salt Flakes
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Add the shopping list for this simple recipe next time you head to the grocery store and while you’re there, grab some fruit to make one of these easy recipes made with strawberries!
How to make an Asparagus Tart with Mushrooms and Tomatoes
After pre-heating the oven, you’ll need to pre-bake your puff pastry. Since these come frozen, allow time for the pastry to thaw and then roll it out on a lightly floured surface.
I rolled mine out to the dimensions of a standard sized baking sheet pan.
Run a small knife around all four edges of the pastry and poke holes with a fork inside the middle before cooking.
Once your pastry is golden brown, it’s time to add some of those healthy ingredients!
This easy asparagus recipe is seriously my new favorite way to cook with spring veggies. It’s SO good and makes the perfect vegetarian meal to enjoy on meatless Monday.
Place the Swiss cheese slices (or other cheese) on top of the pastry.
Then, trim the ends and arrange your fresh asparagus spears so the tips of the asparagus alternate.
TIP: if your asparagus is really thick, it’s ok to slice it in half. Just be sure to lay it cut side down on the pastry.
Remove stems and add shiitake mushrooms on top and then repeat with the quartered cherry tomatoes.
Drizzle olive oil over all the vegetables and sprinkle garlic powder, salt flakes and your pepper of choice.
Bake until the vegetables are roasted and remove the cookie sheet from the oven.
Top with a squeeze of lemon juice and enjoy!
This is such a versatile side dish or main dish for two! It makes healthy eating a breeze with plenty of veggies and will be making a regular appearance in this house.
I’m thrilled with how it turned out and I can’t wait to make it again. If you need some good food fast , be sure to save this one for your next meal plan.
Print the Recipe: Asparagus Mushroom Recipe with Puff Pastry
- 1 lb Asparagus
- 1 Cup Shiitake mushrooms (stems removed)
- 1/4 Cup Cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- 6 Slices Swiss Cheese (or more)
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder (more or less to taste)
- Salt flakes (to taste)
- Red Pepper flakes (to taste/optional)
- Flour for work surface
- Preheat oven to 400°F and thaw puff pastry
- On a lightly floured surface, roll thawed dough to fit baking sheet
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper and add dough
- Run a knife around edges of the pastry and poke holes throughout with a fork
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Add cheese to the cooked pastry and then arrange asparagus, mushrooms and tomatoes on top
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle seasonings and salt flakes
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender
- Slice and enjoy immediately
Make it your own! Try this recipe with different types of cheese and/or vegetables for a winning meal every time!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information is estimated and may vary based on products used. Please verify with your ingredients.