Creamy risotto with fresh asparagus makes a delicious side dish or meatless main dish. Using our slow cooker asparagus risotto recipe, you’ll be able to focus on other things while these unique flavors come together.
If you are tired of plain rice recipes, try risotto the next time you need a yummy side for chicken, ham or with tuna cakes.
With a cheesy base and hint of lemon, asparagus risotto compliments just about any flavor.
And if you love asparagus, you have to try this asparagus mushroom tart next. So good.
To make this easy recipe, you’ll need a combination of fresh ingredients and a few pantry staples.
Check out our list below and grab what you need the next time you hit the grocery store.
What to Buy
- Fresh asparagus
- Olive oil
- Garlic, minced
- Arborio rice
- White wine (can substitute with chicken stock)
- Chicken broth, heated until hot (vegetable broth is ok too)
- Lemon, zest and juice reserved
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese
Once you have your ingredients, you’ll also need a large skillet and a slow cooker or Instant Pot with a slow cook setting along with some nonstick cooking spray.
Prepare the Fresh Ingredients
To get started, spray the slow cooker dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Chop the onion and mince garlic cloves.
Wash asparagus spears and chop into 1-inch pieces. Then set aside.
Using a zester or microplane grater, zest your lemon and then squeeze its juice into a cup and set aside.
Season the Rice
In a large saucepan, simmer the chicken broth over medium heat on the stove top until hot and let simmer while you prepare the rice.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat before adding the veggies.
When the oil is heated, add onion to the skillet and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes and stir in the minced garlic cloves.
Once the veggies are cooked, add the rice and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning.
Gently pour the wine into the skillet and continue to stir, cooking until almost completely absorbed into the rice.
Transfer to Slow Cooker
Add the arborio rice mixture into the Crock pot and stir in the hot broth, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and black pepper.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 90 minutes.
After 90 minutes, remove the lid and stir the cut asparagus into the cooked risotto.
Continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes or until the asparagus reaches your desired consistency.
Just before serving, melt butter and Parmesan cheese into the mixture to get a perfect risotto with that delicious creamy texture. This is the best part!
Garnish with lemon wedges and shaved parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Print the Recipe – Slow Cooker Asparagus Risotto
This lemon asparagus risotto might just become your new favorite side dish for weekday meals or special occasions.
Save a little effort and make it the easy way by using the slow cooker. And for variations, feel free to swap out the asparagus with green beans or mushrooms. Yum.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate.
If you want more slow cooker recipes, be sure to check out this insanely good tomato tortellini soup!
Slow Cooker Asparagus Risotto
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ¾ cup white wine
- 5 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 6 TBSP butter
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Spray the slow cooker dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Wash and chop onions, mince garlic cloves and cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Set asparagus aside.
- Using a zester or microplane grater, zest the lemon and then squeeze the juice into a cup and set aside.
- In a large (12 inch) skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Then, stir in the garlic.
- To the skillet, add the rice and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning.
- Add the wine into the skillet and stir, cooking until almost completely absorbed into the rice.
- Pour the rice mixture into the slow cooker and slowly stir in the heated broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and black pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, remove the lid and stir in the fresh asparagus. Continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes.
- Once asparagus has reached your desired consistency, stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!