Peppermint Christmas Crackers
on Nov 15, 2022, Updated Mar 29, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Peppermint Christmas crackers are a must make for the holiday season. Saltine crackers are baked with a melted butter and brown sugar mixture and topped with a minty chocolate layer for a delicious treat.
I love this peppermint twist on the classic Christmas saltine toffee.
No matter what you call it, this is one snack the whole family will love.
This Saltine Christmas Crackers Recipe Is…
- Easy variation on saltine cracker toffee
- Delicious peppermint bark Christmas crackers
- Easy recipe
- Fun holiday dessert
- Quick Homemade treat
Brown Sugar and Butter – This is the toffee portion of this dessert. You will cook these two in a pan on the stove to create this deeply rich flavor.
Saltine Crackers – Reach for a classic saltine cracker for this recipe. I love the salted ones but for a sweeter treat, you can use the low sodium version.
Chocolate -Semi-sweet chocolate and white chocolate chips are used for this recipe. Feel free to use whatever you like.
Peppermint Essential Oil – Reach for edible peppermint oil to give it that perfect minty flavor.
Coconut Oil – This is going to help melt the chocolate without seizing.
How to Make This Peppermint Saltine Christmas Candy
Full steps are in the printable recipe card below. This is a visual walk through on how to make this easy tasty treat.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Then line your baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
Next you will heat up butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
Boil the mixture for 3-5 minutes, dissolving all the sugar. You will want the mixture to darken a bit in color.
Stir often with a whisk so it doesn’t burn.
Arrange a single layer of crackers on the baking sheet. Then pour the butter mixture over the top of the crackers.
Spread the mixture so it covers all the crackers and bake for 5 minutes.
In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and the coconut oil in 30 second increments in the microwave stirring in between until melted.
Then, stir in the peppermint oil. You can do this step with the white chocolate if you prefer.
Pour chocolate over the top of baked crackers and spread to cover evenly.
Melt the white chocolate with more coconut oil in the same way and drizzle on top.
With a toothpick or butter knife, swirl gently to make a pattern in the chocolate.
Refrigerate until the buttery toffee and chocolate are set. Then cut into squares and enjoy!
Variations to Recipe and Tips For Success
- Top with crushed peppermint, candy canes, or holiday sprinkles for added color.
- A silicone mat works if you don’t want to use foil.
- You can use 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract instead of oil if you would like.
- I love dark chocolate chips but feel free to use milk chocolate or even white chocolate. Then add in the peppermint to any chocolate you want.
- Swap the saltines with Ritz crackers, Townhouse crackers, or any other style. Or use graham crackers for a sweeter version.
Room Temperature – Store your chocolate peppermint bark saltine crackers in an airtight container. You will break into small pieces and it can stack in the container. The crackers store for around 2 weeks or so.
If your home is hot, you may want to refrigerate to prevent the chocolate from melting.
Can I double this recipe?
Yes you sure can double this recipe. Just use two rim lined baking sheets for this recipe. Then bake in batches or if both pans fit in the oven right away go ahead and do so.
This is a wonderful Christmas candy to make as a gift for family and friends to snack on.
Can I make these in advance?
Go right ahead and make this a day before you plan to enjoy it. This is a great recipe that can be made a day or two in advance.
Print the Recipe
Peppermint Christmas Crackers
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 30 saltine crackers
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 4 drops peppermint essential oil, or 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tsp coconut oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line a 13×9 baking sheet with foil, spray with non-stick spray, and lay crackers in a single layer,covering the entire baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter with brown sugar together, and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring often until sugar is dissolved and mixture turns a darker brown.
- Pour butter and sugar mixture over the saltines and spread evenly.
- Bake for 5 minutes, and remove from the oven. Let the pan set while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1 tsp coconut oil.
- Once chocolate is melted, spread evenly on top of the baked crackers.
- Then, melt white chocolate chips with 1 tsp coconut oil and once melted, add peppermint essential oil.
- Drizzle lines of peppermint white chocolate back and forth across the top.
- Using a toothpick, swirl in vertical and horizontal lines to run the peppermint white chocolate across the candy.
- Let the baking sheet cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight or for 8 hrs.
- Cut Christmas crackers into squares and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.