With the sweet citrus of orange and simple vanilla frosting, these orange creamsicle cupcakes will bring a smile to your face.
My boys love baking and making cupcakes is one of the easiest ways to get acquainted with the kitchen.
If you want to start a little smaller with your little ones, check out these no-bake marshmallow cereal clusters.
This recipe uses fresh oranges and I don’t know about you, but to me few things smell better than that!
Here is what you will need to make this recipe. You may already have many of these pantry staples.
Orange Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe Ingredients/Shopping List
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Unsalted Butter
- Sugar, white granulated
- Fresh Oranges (1-2)
- Orange extract
- Vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream
- Clear vanilla extract
Optional decoration ideas
- Candied orange slices
- Orange Jimmies Sprinkles
Following the steps below, you will see how simple this recipe is and how delicious baking from scratch can be!
What I love about this simple vanilla frosting is that it can be used on any cupcake recipe.
You could also drop a spoonful into some orange soda for a quick float…..yum.
It’s so versatile!
Check out our other yummy ideas!
Orange Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 2 ½ cups flour all-purpose
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar white granulated
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange zest finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill pan with cupcake liners
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition
- Beat in orange and vanilla extracts, orange juice and zest until well combined
- Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk
- Beat until well combined, batter will be thin
- Divide into cupcake liners ⅔ full
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool completely and frost
- Beat butter until fluffy
- Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with heavy cream and vanilla
- Whip until fluffy and desired consistency
- Frost cooled cupcakes
- Decorate as desired with orange jimmies, candied oranges, straws etc.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.