Strawberry Crunch Topping
on Apr 16, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Strawberry crunch topping is a sweet and crunchy mixture that is often used as a topping for desserts such as ice cream, cakes, cupcakes, and pies.
The strawberry crunch topping is made with golden Oreos, freeze-dried strawberries, strawberry gelatin, and butter.
You will love how these coarse crumbs take simple vanilla ice cream or cake to a whole new level.
You probably know these strawberry crunch crumbles from the classic strawberry shortcake ice cream bars that have the crunchy topping coating the bar.
This strawberry crunch recipe is…
- Great on top of the cake, ice cream, cupcakes, and more.
- Crunchy and Sweet
- Vibrant red color
- Great for special occasion and events
- Quick recipe
This is a classic ice cream truck dessert that you can now make at home with a few simple ingredients.
Here’s what you need:
- Golden Oreos cookies: This is the base ingredient for the crunch topping. Golden Oreos are a type of sandwich cookie that has a vanilla-flavored filling between two golden-colored wafers. They are known for their sweet and buttery flavor, which makes them perfect for this topping.
- Freeze-dried strawberries: Freeze-dried strawberries are dried fruit with lots of flavor. This process results in a crispy and crunchy texture that adds a unique crunch to the topping. The strawberries also provide a sweet and tangy flavor that pairs well with the vanilla-flavored Oreos.
- Strawberry gelatin: The gelatin adds color and a subtle strawberry flavor to the topping.
- Melted butter: Used to bind the ingredients together and adds a rich and buttery flavor to the topping.
How to Make Strawberry Crunch
Use a food processor or blender to pulse 22 Golden Oreos cookies until they turn into fine crumbs.
Stir the Oreo crumbs with 1 cup of freeze-dried strawberries in a mixing bowl until well combined.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
Add 6 tbsp of melted butter and 2 tbsp of strawberry gelatin to the bowl and stir until the mixture is well combined.
Now that your topping is ready to use, add it to your favorite desserts, such as ice cream, cake, cookie balls, or any other desserts that you desire.
By following these simple steps, you can easily make a tasty and unique strawberry crunch topping that will add a sweet and crunchy texture to your homemade treats.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Use a food processor or electric mixer to pulse the cookies and freeze dried strawberries to get the small crumbles. Or if you don’t own one, place ingredients in a zip top bag and use a rolling pin to crush the mixture till it is crumbled and minxed.
- Instead of Golden Oreos, you can use vanilla wafers or graham crackers for a similar flavor to the strawberry crunchies.
- If you want to enhance the flavor a little more, try adding some pure vanilla extract to the mixture.
Ways to use Strawberry Crunch Topping
Looking for ways to use strawberry topping? Here are some simple ideas for you to consider that are perfect for strawberry lovers.
- Ice Cream Topping: One of the most popular ways to use strawberry crunch topping is as a topping for ice cream. Sprinkle it on your favorite ice cream flavor for an extra crunch. You can even add it to this Little Debbie strawberry shortcake ice cream recipe. It is an easy recipe that gives you all the flavors of your favorite Little Debbie dessert.
- Cake or Cupcake Topping: Add a layer of strawberry crunch topping on top of your cake or cupcakes for a unique and delicious twist. It works particularly well with vanilla or chocolate cake. Or make a strawberry poke cake and add this on as the topping.
- Yogurt or Smoothie Bowl Topping: Sprinkle some strawberry crunch topping on top of your favorite yogurt or smoothie bowl for added crunch and texture.
- Fruit Salad Topping: Add some crunch and sweetness to your fruit salad by topping it with strawberry crunch topping.
- Cheesecake Crust: Use the strawberry crunch topping as the crust for your cheesecake instead of a traditional graham cracker crust. It will add a unique and delicious twist to your cheesecake. This does work best when using a no bake cheesecake recipe.
- Cookie Balls: Mix the strawberry crunch topping with cream cheese and roll into balls to make delicious and easy no-bake treats.
- Pie Topping: Top your favorite pie, such as apple or blueberry, with the strawberry crunch topping for added texture and flavor.
The crunch crumbles can store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to five days.
Since this is a homemade version without the preservatives you will need to keep the mixture refrigerated to prevent it from spoiling.
Can I use fresh strawberries instead of freeze-dried strawberries?
While fresh strawberries can be used, they contain moisture that can make the topping less crunchy. Freeze-dried strawberries are preferred for their dry and crispy texture.
Can I use a different type of cookie for the topping?
Yes, you can use a different type of cookie, such as graham crackers or vanilla wafers, to make the topping.
Can I make the topping without butter?
The butter is used to create a crispy texture and add flavor, but you can use a non-dairy alternative, such as coconut oil, instead or omit it for a drier mixture.
Print the Recipe
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- 22 Golden Oreos cookies
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries, divided
- 2 tbsp Strawberry gelatin
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- Using a food processor or blender, pulse the Oreo cookies until you have fine crumbs.
- Add the crumbs and 1 cup of freeze dried strawberries to the bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Transfer crumbs to a large mixing bowl
- Add melted butter and gelatin and stir to combine
- Enjoy as a topping on ice cream, cake, cookie balls or other dessert.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.