Creamy Italian sausage pasta is a delicious but simple Italian pasta dinner. Pair ground Italian sausage with rigatoni pasta and top with a cheesy sauce loaded with sun dried tomatoes and baby spinach.
This is a great recipe for busy weeknights when you want a hearty dinner with minimal prep.
This Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe Is..
- Bold Italian flavors
- Easy prep
- Comfort food
- Kid friendly dinner
This meal is made with easy to find, simple ingredients that blend together perfectly for a delicious dinner.
Italian Sausage – Use mild or a spicy Italian sausage for this recipe depending on what you like. For kids I recommend mild.
Rigatoni – I love this shape of pasta because it really compliments the Italian seasoning in the dish. Feel free to use whatever shape you prefer.
Onion and Garlic – Two of my favorites when cooking with Italian sausage!
Chicken Broth – The broth is going to help add more flavor to the dish compared to water.
Heavy Cream – The heavy cream is the base of the sauce. It is going to help bring all the flavors together and create a balance.
Parmesan Cheese – Parmesan offers that tangy component that is just incredible with your al dente pasta and ground sausage.
Baby Spinach – Baby spinach is added right at the end for more color and taste.
Sundried Tomatoes – Drained and sliced. Such a delicious addition that really pops.
Red Pepper Flakes – If you want more spice to your dish add in the flakes. Optional.
How to Make
Full steps on how to make this Italian pasta in the creamy sauce is in the printable recipe card. This is a quick walk through.
First, brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add diced onion, garlic, pepper and red pepper and continue cooking until onion is translucent and the meat is cooked.
Next you will remove the sausage from the pan and set aside. Be sure to leave the drippings in the pan.
Pour in the chicken broth and deglaze the pan scraping gently to remove any stuck on bits.
Then add in the cream and bring to a low boil.
Turn down the heat and allow the sauce to simmer for 20 minutes. You want it to reduce by half the volume.
While the sauce is simmering, cook and drain the pasta.
After sauce is reduced, stir in the meat mixture, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, spinach, and cook till the spinach is wilted and cheese is melted.
Stir in the sausage mixture to the sauce.
When the pasta is done, pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to combine.
Serve and enjoy!
Variations and Tips For The Recipe
- Add in 1/4 cup of white wine to enhance the sauce.
- Season with black pepper and sea salt.
- Try penne or bow tie pasta.
- Swap the Italian sausage with ground beef for a milder dish.
- Top with fresh basil to add more flavor to the dish.
Refrigerate – You will be able to refrigerate any of this dish that you don’t eat right away. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. This pasta will keep for up to 3 days.
To reheat, warm in the microwave or in a skillet over low heat on the stove.
Does this dish double in size?
Are you looking for a dish to serve a larger crowd? This is the perfect example of an easy pasta dinner that doubles and even triples well. Just reach for a large enough pot to cook, or batch cook.
Is this served as a complete meal?
You can eat this as a meal in one, or you can pair with garlic bread, fresh salad, or even vegetables on the side.
Print the Recipe
Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 1 lb Rigatoni or other pasta
- ½ Medium Onion diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Shredded Parmesan
- 3-4 Cups Baby Spinach
- 8 oz Jar Sundried Tomatoes drained and diced
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Place Italian sausage in a large skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring and crumbling as it cooks until sausage is browned but not cooked through.
- Add in diced onion, garlic, pepper and red pepper and continue cooking until sausage is cooked through and onion is translucent.
- Remove the sausage mixture from the skillet, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Add chicken broth the skillet and heat over medium/high heat stirring and scraping the cooked bits of sausage off the pan with a wooden spoon to de-glaze the pan.
- Add cream and bring to a low boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes. You want it to reduce to about ½ of the original volume.
- While the sauce is simmering cook rigatoni in a large pot according to the package directions, drain and place back in the pot.
- After the sauce has reduced, with the heat on low, add sun dried tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and spinach, cook, stirring frequently until cheese melts and spinach is wilted.
- Pour sauce mixture over the cooked rigatoni and stir until the pasta is well coated with the sauce.
- Serve Immediately with salad or garlic bread.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.