When you need a low budget dinner option with loads of veggies and flavor, this sausage and cabbage skillet meal will warm you right up!
I recently made the happy mistake of forgetting to cancel my produce box. I don’t want to cancel it permanently, so I have gotten into the habit of putting the service on hold for weeks at a time.
Of course, that means that once in a blue moon, I forget to do it and end up with a box of unknown veggies on my porch!
This month, there was a head of cabbage in my box and I thought with St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, why not make a yummy Irish Banger skillet?
What it lacks in presentation, it makes up for in flavor. I promise!
Cabbage is such a hearty veggie. I love cooking with it. I prefer it sautéed because you get all that yummy flavor without it getting mushy.
I love how there is still a bit of crunch to it.
I grated some carrots and added some onions and garlic to the mix. This could very easily be a clean out your fridge meal. You really can’t go wrong.
I prefer using 100% beef sausage, but use whatever you like. This meal is classic with kielbasa so that’s always a solid choice.
After sautéing most of the veggies and meat in butter, add the cabbage last and let it simmer. The challenge here will be having a skillet that is big enough to hold all that goodness.
I recommend adding the cabbage a little at a time, giving it a chance to wilt and make room for more.
When it’s done, you are in for such a treat! We didn’t leave a single bite and the kids enjoyed it too. We really want to make more vegetable forward meals so I’m happy to add another one to the list.
Must be the luck of the Irish.
Sausage and Cabbage Skillet Meal Recipe
- 1 medium onion
- 1.5 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 carrots peeled and grated
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 pkg (12-16oz) beef smoked sausage or kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 1 large head green cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large pan, sautée onions, garlic, and grated carrots in half the butter
- Stir in the rest of the butter and balsamic vinegar followed by the beef smoked sausage to brown, stirring occasionally
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika
- Add chopped cabbage a little at a time
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 29gSodium: 667mgCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 11g