Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket is a crescent roll hot dog recipe that’s among the most loved snacks for potluck dinners and game day parties. They are also the perfect breakfast when made with sausage or in a chili cheese dog bake.
This easy appetizer dish is an excellent party food or quick meal for busy weeknights, and it’s something your whole family will love.
Here are the ingredients to make this crescent dogs recipe. You can use mini hot dogs or regular size to make this easy meal.
- Lil Smokies sausages
- Crescent rolls
How to make crescent roll hot dogs:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this easy dinner recipe. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
Unroll a can of crescent roll dough, separate the triangles of dough, and cut them into three pieces.
Open the sausages, rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Place one hot dog piece at the wide end of the crescent dough and roll up.
Continue to roll all the sausages in separate crescent dough pieces.
In a small bowl, mix the egg with the water and brush it over the tops of the sausage rolls.
If desired, sprinkle a bit of seasoning mix, coarse salt, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds over the top of each sausage roll.
Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F.
Place the sausage rolls in the preheated oven or air fryer. You can use an ungreased baking sheet or the air fryer basket for cooking.
Turn the sausage rolls and cook for another couple of minutes until evenly browned.
Remove and enjoy!
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make these the best crescent roll hot dogs you’ve ever had.
- Top the buttery crescent rolls with a slice of cheese, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, Everything But The Bagel seasoning mix, or a sprinkle of coarse salt.
- Wrap the sausages in bacon before rolling them in the crescent dough.
- Use veggie dogs for a vegetarian option.
- Add American cheese or cheddar cheese to this fun little snack.
- Pillsbury crescent rolls are best, but any brand will work.
- Spray the pan with non stick cooking spray to make sure they can be easily removed from the pan.
- Brush butter, oil, or water on top of the crescent rolls before baking.
- Make the mini crescent dogs in two batches giving them space for each one to cook without touching. If you have a smaller air fryer, cook in more batches.
- This recipe was made with a Power Air Fryer XL. Temperature control settings vary according to brand and model. Check the manual for your particular air fryer if you do not have the same settings suggested in the recipe.
Can I make these crescent dogs in the oven?
The air fryer is perfect for making these mini crescent roll dogs because it takes less time, doesn’t heat up the whole oven, and makes the crescent dough crispy and delicious.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake these mini crescent roll dogs in the oven.
Place them on a sheet pan and bake or ungreased cookie sheet until they’re golden brown.
How to serve crescent roll dogs
This friendly recipe is the perfect appetizer dish and goes well with your favorite sauce, a side of chili, or cheese side dip.
You can also use dipping sauce like ketchup, yellow mustard, relish, or BBQ sauce.
What can you replace the Lil Smokies sausages with?
This recipe uses Hillshire Farms Lil Smokies, but you can substitute them with one of these options.
Use large hot dogs or your favorite type of sausages like chicken apple or jalapeño cheddar.
Cut the hot dogs on a cutting board into half pieces or quarters to make them smaller.
How to store
Refrigerator: You can keep these crescent dogs in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap for five days.
You can make up to 24 hours ahead of time, which is a great way to get ready for game day.
Freezer: Freeze these crescent dinner rolls in a freezer bag for three months.
Reheat: Reheat leftover crescent rolls in the air fryer for the best texture. You can also reheat them in the microwave, but the roll will be soft and no longer crispy.
If they’re frozen, allow the hot dog rolls to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
If the sausages are smoked, you don’t necessarily need to cook them, but you need to cook hot dogs if you choose to use them instead.
If you don’t want to use crescent rolls, you can also substitute crescent dough sheets. These are made with the same dough as the crescent rolls, except it is not cut into triangles.
To use these sheets, start by unrolling them and cutting them vertically into four pieces. Cut each of these separate dough pieces horizontally into strips about 1 inch wide and then rolled around the sausage.
You can also use puff pastry dough. First, unfold the sheets. They usually come folded in thirds. Cut the sections apart and then cut strips about 1 inch wide and roll around each hot dog.
You may see them called pigs in a blanket, hot dog roll-ups, or mummy dogs.
If you liked these crescent roll hot dogs, you’ll love these other appetizers!
- Roasted Buffalo Brussel Sprouts
- Southwest Corn Dip with Cream Cheese
- Jalapeno Pineapple Salsa
- Hummus Deviled Eggs
Crescent Roll Hot Dog Recipe
Be sure to check out my tips and tricks in the post. Scroll up to read!
- 1 package Lil smokies or your favorite cocktail sized sausage/hot dog
- 2 packages crescent rolls
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Optional: 1 tablespoon Everything But The Bagel seasoning mix coarse salt, poppyseeds or sesame seeds.
- Unroll can of crescent roll dough. Separate the triangles of dough. Cut each triangle into three pieces.
- Take the mini hot dogs out of the package. Rinse and pat dry. Place a sausage at the wide end of the piece of crescent roll. Roll up and set aside.
- Continue to roll all the sausages in crescent roll dough.
- In a small bowl mix the egg with the water. Brush over the tops of the sausage rolls.
- If desired, sprinkle a bit of seasoning mix, coarse salt, poppyseeds or sesame seeds over the top of each sausage roll.
- Preheat your air fryer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place about 12 sausage rolls evenly spaced in the air fryer. Cook for 4 minutes at 350°F.
- Turn sausage rolls and cook for another 3-4 minutes at 350 degrees or until they are evenly browned.
- Remove and enjoy!
Store in a food storage bag or covered container up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Nutrition information is estimated. For the most accurate info, always doublecheck with your ingredients.