Buffalo chicken mac and cheese is cheesy and creamy and full of flavor. It’s one the best comfort foods around and my recipe is super quick and easy to make!
My husband and I love macaroni and cheese and I mean we truly love it. There is nothing like a hearty meal, especially during colder seasons.
The kids don’t really seem to be fans of this classic staple so we don’t have it very often which is probably for the best.
But for today, let’s talk buffalo chicken!
Post updated from January 2013
The upside of this is that when we do make it, we get to spice it up a bit. My favorite way to eat macaroni and cheese is by adding some buffalo sauce and blue cheese crumbles.
I am a big fan of Buffalo Chicken in just about any form. So when we visited NYC for our anniversary a few years ago, and ate at a Mac and Cheese restaurant called S’Mac, I had to try the buffalo chicken mac & cheese.
It was delicious and have been recreating it ever since!
The recipe is based on my mom’s classic from my childhood.
It’s so quick to make because while the chicken and pasta are cooking on the stove, you can make the sauce in the microwave by slowly mixing together a few ingredients.
And btw, I love having our meat delivered! Makes life so much easier.
There is so much comfort in this food I don’t even know what else to say other than DIG IN. Also, don’t worry about the calories ok? Can’t win em all.
Here’s a gratuitous cheese sauce pic. You can thank me later.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb pasta of your choice, I used Fusilli
- 2 cups or more extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1/4 cup Franks Original Buffalo sauce
- 8 Tbsp Blue Cheese Crumbles, optional topping
- Boil water and add pasta when boiling (reduce heat)
- While water is heating, prepare the cheese sauce by combining the milk, flour, butter, cheese, and salt in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Stir sauce and microwave on high for another 4 minutes.
- Cook chicken in a small amount of olive oil or butter until cooked through.
- Add 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce and remove from heat.
- Once pasta is done, stir in the cheese sauce and buffalo chicken.
- Top with Bleu cheese crumbles (if desired) and enjoy!
The great thing about this meal is that you add the buffalo chicken to regular mac and cheese so if your kids want it the traditional way, everyone is happy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 529Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gSodium: 966mgCarbohydrates: 45gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g
And now there is no going back.
Do like to add things to your Mac & Cheese or do you stick with the classic?
Like this post? Share and Save for Later!